Dead Circuit

Old 09-17-18, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dead Circuit

I installed an on/off switch in the power cord for a work light in my shop. When I plugged the cord back in the outlet, it didn't work, and all my wall outlets (5) are now without power. I went to the circuit panel but the breaker was not tripped. I turned it off and back on anyway. Still nothing. The other two circuits in the panel are working fine. Any idea as to what has happened?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-18, 11:18 AM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
Does the circuit have a GFCI outlet that may have tripped?

Old 09-17-18, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure. The circuit tripped in the past when I was running some woodworking equipment on it, so probably not.

Old 09-17-18, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
If you have five receptacles connected directly to the panel..... then it should be fairly easy to find the problem. Did you push the breaker all the way to off and then reset it ? If that didn't help then you'll need to check for a problem at each receptacle. Start with the one closest to the panel. If the push-in connections were used..... move them to the screw terminals on all receptacles.

Old 09-18-18, 05:46 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Remove the panel cover and check from the screw terminal on the breaker to the neutral bar in the panel and see if you get 120 volts.
Geo

Old 09-18-18, 06:10 PM
I pushed the breaker switch to off, but maybe I didn't push it far enough left. I'll try that.

Yes, all the outlet connections are push-in. But, as long as I'm not using an outlet, that outlet's loose wire shouldn't affect other outlets, should it. I'll at least rewire the switch I was using when the problem occurred, using the screw terminals.

Old 09-18-18, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
all the outlet connections are push-in. But, as long as I'm not using an outlet, that outlet's loose wire shouldn't affect other outlets, should it
Wring, it will. Each receptacle is a bridge sending power to the receptacle. Any failed push-in prevents power from either traveling to that receptacle or the next. All push-ins must be moved to the screws.