Help - Tripping GFI

Old 09-17-18, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help - Tripping GFI

First thanks for all the help that is provided.

Our kitchen island has 2 circuits running into it. One has a microwave/convection oven and also a warming drawer. The other circuit has a sink grinder/disposal and a GFI protected outlet. The circuit with the GFI has suddenly started tripping.
This 20 A circuit runs directly from the the panel, into the island, to a single pole switch which controls the Disposal and then to the GFI outlet which is used for electrical appliances on the island (Blender, etc).

It's been problem free for 9 years since installed. Now in the last few months has been tripping more frequently. Now the GFI trips about 15 seconds after it's been reset regardless of whether there is any load plugged in or not. I have replaced both the GFI outlet and the breaker. Still it trips, no change. I was next going to check all the wiring for wear and any connections (I.e. the branch from the line that goes to the disposal swith.
What am I missing??
THANK YOU!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-18, 05:23 PM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
So this gfci outlet is not protecting down stream, no wires on the load side?

Old 09-18-18, 05:59 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Remove the load side conductors from the GFCI and see if it still trips.
Geo

Old 09-18-18, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Geochurchi View Post
Remove the load side conductors from the GFCI and see if it still trips.
Geo
This is why I asked what I did in post #2. I didn't get from his information that the gfci outlet served any further circuit off the load side. I was thinking it was a stand alone gfci outlet.

Old 09-18-18, 02:32 PM
Geochurchi and pattenp. First thanks for the help. The situation gets more interesting.

First...sorry my description wasn't clear. It's a 20A circuit, runs directly from the panel to the kitchen island. The line splits into 2 runs. One to a single pole switch which controls a sink disposal, the other run goes to the GFCI which has no downline outlets.

BUT today the situation is now different. Went out at lunch today to get a meter, it came with a probe that plugs into an outlet with lights that detects conditions such as "HOT and NEU Reversed", etc. I figured it usually trips after about 10 seconds and so needed to move fast. I reset the GFI, plugged it in and it showed ""Correct Wiring" and now the GFI has remained untripped for 30 minutes. I ran the disposal, no change, I plugged a laptop computer into the outlet, still alive. So whatever condition was tripping it is "gone".

I'm not fool enough to believe that things just fix themselves, but now I'm a little lost. I just plugged in an ran an electric mixer in the GFI, no tripping. I also checked all the outlets in the kitchen and they read "Corret Wiring" .

We've had a LOT of rain lately, I'm wondering if an outdoor outlet (pool filter, or outlets on my porches could be causing some kind of weird interaction at the panel??

As always, thanks for any help...

Old 09-18-18, 02:48 PM
Since it is a stand alone gfci outlet it should not trip with nothing plugged into it unless it's defective. Sounds like it was a fluke. Is the outlet a good brand name? Just make sure you have good solid connections.

Old 09-19-18, 06:41 AM
Pattenp, Thanks for the update. Yep. name brand GFIs bought at a big box hardware store, actually tripped with 2 different breakers and 2 different GFI's. Gremlins.... Thanks!!!

Old 09-19-18, 08:37 AM
I bought a couple of Leviton GFCI outlets not to long ago and they would randomly trip for no apparent reason. I replaced them with Cooper brand and have had no further problems. I never really had issues with Leviton before so it may have been some poor quality components that were used in a batch they manufactured.