Looking for advice: installing subpanel for car charger

Old 09-18-18, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for advice: installing subpanel for car charger

I just recently purchased an electric vehicle and I am interested in installing a home charger. While I am at it I am debating on putting a subpanel in the garage in order to have the EV charger a 14-50 plug (in case someone else with a different electric car stops by) and a 30amp rv plug put in so that I can plug in prior to going out camping. So the overall on the subpanel would be a 100 amp EV charger. a occasional/rare use 14-50 outlet and a occasional use 30amp 120v rv connector. I currently have two side by side panels outside. One with a 200amp feed and the other with 200 amp feed derated to 150 that also has a 70amp 240v solar array connected to it. So I have 350amp feed total. I plan on having an electrician check all the work and do the permit pull for the work, but I want to know going into it what's possible as I like having an informed conversation rather than blindly being told what to do. I have attached pictures of both panels, as well as a layout of the boxes with amp info. So at the end of the day what I am asking is this.
  1. Can I use a subpanel as I have described
  2. If so, what size breaker do I need as two of the three loads are occasional/rare use. I don't have a problem saying that I won't plug the car in if the 14-50 is being used or the 30amp rv plug if that makes a difference
  3. Is this the best approach vs doing home runs on everything back to the main panel.
  4. Is there anything I am missing.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-18, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Can I use a subpanel as I have described
Yes.

If so, what size breaker do I need as two of the three loads are occasional/rare use. I don't have a problem saying that I won't plug the car in if the 14-50 is being used or the 30amp rv plug if that makes a difference
If you run a sub panel feeder, 100 amps will cover running both charging receptacles at the same time.

Is this the best approach vs doing home runs on everything back to the main panel.
That would depend on how far the run is and how difficult it would be to run multiple circuits vs. a single feeder.