How to do project wiring

Old 09-19-18, 10:14 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question How to do project wiring

I want to make a switchboard from switches and buttons, but they are different voltage and amperage. How would I wire it to not overload anything?
The items I am going to use are:Any help on wiring any of this together would help because I have no idea how any of this is done, or how to make it run off of a single power source.
If someone could draw a diagram, I could understand (with a key for components)
Thanks

Old 09-19-18, 11:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Every device carries a rating that describes its maximums. On a switch.... the voltage and current is the maximum that can be switched thru it. Since you are using 12vdc LEDS..... all your listed switches will only be switching 12v only which is under the listed maximums.

You need a 12vdc power supply. Those lights require approx one half watt each. That would be approx 24 watts for all of them on at one time. Look for a 12vdc 3A power supply or a 12vdc 36 watt or higher power supply........ For example

All the negative wires from the lights will be connected directly to the - (negative) of the power supply. The switches can be wired any way you to choose to control the lights. A typical setup would be the + (positive) wire from the power supply run to one side of every switch. The other side of the switch would go to the + of the light.

Old 09-20-18, 05:11 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
One of the benefits of doing a project is to gain knowledge. The web is full of articles and videos about electrical ratings. Take advantage of it. Household power can injure or kill if you don't understand what you are doing. Good luck.

Old 09-20-18, 05:27 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Is this a science project? I would definitely stick with all low voltage, line voltage wiring will require all connections to be in approved boxes.
Geo

Old 09-20-18, 10:55 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

thanks for all of the help. Ill post a picture when its done!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: