Exterior Step Lights

Old 09-20-18, 07:13 AM
G
Gen
Received 16 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Exterior Step Lights

I want to install exterior steps. I figure they usually go in a single gang box, and I will probably run Carflex after I figure how to get under there.

My question is how do I...

--Get them in an exterior rated SG box, and have that box mount flush with the stair riser surface? --Being that those boxes normally protrude from being surface mount.

Thanks!

Old 09-20-18, 08:55 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
There are a couple options. If these are concrete stairs, you can have the masons embed an electrical masonry box and associated conduit in the pour. For other materials, you'll probably want to use an exterior bell box if you're thinking of using a full size louvered light. It will require some carpentry to frame a backing support board the right distance behind the riser to secure the bell box so it ends up flush with the cutout through the riser. The last suggestion is to look at some of the LED/low voltage systems that do not require boxes. I installed one on a deck that only required boring holes of a specific size through the risers and the little LV button lights popped right in. You can then route the LV cable with staples, through grooves in the framing or behind trim pieces.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: