Older Square D - QO panel

Old 09-24-18, 10:45 AM
Older Square D - QO panel

My house was built in 1978 and has a Square D, QO style 20 slot panel. I have lived here 13 years and done nothing with the electrical. However I am preparing to sell the house and knew upon purchasing there were double taps in the panel. There are three breakers that I would like to fix prior to selling the house so as not to cause concern during inspection. The panel is completely full

The panel will accept the older QO style (not the QOT style with the hook) tandem breakers of which i will need to install 3 to correct the double taps. As this is the older style panel it does not have a tandem rejection feature on the bus bar. If I install the tandem breakers the total circuit count would be 20 but 3 of these would be double pole 220 breakers.

Would i get dinged for over using utilizing the panel in this manor or would it be better to leave the double taps in place as they are now?

I'm just not sure how to count the breakers to know if there is an issue when there is no limit enforced or described on the panel. I am less then the NEC maximum of 42 but given the age of the panel i'm not sure if I am legal. The house is in Michigan if it matters.

Last edited by cnhedrick; 09-24-18 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-18, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
QO breakers in the 15 and 20 amp sizes are listed for two conductors.

A double pole breaker counts as two.

Old 09-24-18, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Although those breakers are approved for two wires in them.... I thought it was only for parallel circuiting..... not two separate circuits.

Look on the panel door. There is a diagram there that will tell you if the panel can utilize tandems.
You can post a picture if you want us to comment on it...... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 09-25-18, 10:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
QO breakers in the 15 and 20 amp sizes are listed for two conductors.
While I do agree with this, many home inspectors will red-flag 2 wires connected to one breaker. It's hardly worth trying to reason with a prospective buyer that the inspector is wrong...

Unless you're experiencing any tripping breakers or known issues, I would get a 8" piece of black wire and attach it to the breaker. Then wire-nut the 3 wires together. Issue fixed!