How should I tackle my outside outlet install?

Old 09-25-18, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How should I tackle my outside outlet install?

I want to have an electrical outlet outside almost half way in my yard [RED]. I could go from [RED] to [PURPLE] which is a crawlspace access vent to under my house. I could then connect into a preexisting outlet from under my house, like the one I have at [GREEN]. I would have to go under the house and connect it from the back because there is a concrete slab. I could also try to dig all the way to my electrical panel [BLUE] inside of my garage but I think I might want this to be my last resort since it will cost me twice as much in cable to get there and then find a way into the garage from the outside.

I guess I am looking for feedback on how you guys think I should tackle this myself. Also do I just use direct bury cable real deep in my grass to get out to my yard?

Name:  electrical.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  67.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-18, 09:55 AM
I had a similar issue last summer. I tapped into an existing outlet outside nearest the new location. And then I dug and buried the romex. I ran about 60 feet underground. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Old 09-25-18, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
What do you plan on using out at the new outlet? If it's just occasional use of some weed trimmers or a fountain, there's no issue connecting it to an existing circuit. But if there's any significant load planned, I would run it to a new circuit in the panel.

I would use UF cable. If you use a GFCI breaker or GFCI receptacle on the side of your house before you go underground, you can bury it 12" deep. Without GFCI protection (of the wire), it needs to go 18" deep.

If it were me, I'd go underground with UF cable, then up into the crawlspace (protected by a length of PVC conduit when it's above ground). Then through the crawlspace to the panel. Is that what you had planned?

Old 09-26-18, 11:26 AM
Thank you two for the reply. I should have mentioned this in the original post but I plan to plug in a bug zapper during the summer months and use it to heat a dog bowl in the winter time. Those are my only uses I plan for it. I currently use the outlet by the house [GREEN] with an extension cord for this which is why I want to put something permanent out there for a cleaner look and I won't have to move the power cord and bug zapper every time I mow.

I planned to see if I could just tie in somewhere under the house so I don't have to go all the way to the panel. The panel is to the back of my garage and the only way to get to it would be to go from the crawl space, up from below the water heater in the garage, behind the water heater up to the attic part above the garage, then to the panel. It is a lot more work and if I can avoid that in cost of material and time I would like to try to do that. To be honest, I think I was in the attic part the day I bought the house to just look around and I haven't been up there since haha.

So with direct bury, I don't need to put it into any conduit under the ground, just at the spot where I will go from the yard to the crawlspace vent right?

Old 09-26-18, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
So with direct bury, I don't need to put it into any conduit under the ground, just at the spot where I will go from the yard to the crawlspace vent right?
Not as long as you bury it deep enough (12" or 18" as stated above). If you have hard rocky soil, I would rent a trencher to make it easier on yourself (unless you love to dig). Or you could run it through metal conduit and get away with a 6" burial.

Old 09-26-18, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
18" is for conduit. Cable is 24" if not GFCI protected.

Old Today, 04:11 AM
So can I use metal clad to go from new outlet location to the crawlspace vent?

I was thinking of getting this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-A...Cable/50189129

Will I be able to just direct bury this or is this a NO-GO for outside environments? If I can use it how deep do I need to go?

Is 12 gauge fine for running a heated dog bowl and bug zapper (Not at the same time)?