Two Lights, One Light Switch in between

Old 09-25-18, 01:00 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Two Lights, One Light Switch in between

I recently wired two motion sensor flood lights to a light switch that is in between both lights. I put a junction box above the light switch and ran the wiring from both lights to the box, attaching the hot to both loads with one nut.

I am trying to utilize the manual override feature of the floodlights, and they are acting a bit strange. I am wondering if the wiring method has anything to do with that.

Should I instead install a second junction box and a second Romex out of the first light to connect to the second light to pigtail?

Old 09-25-18, 01:53 PM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Is a tivating the override accomplished by flicking the switch toggle?

It is possible that the manual override was not guaranteed to work with two lights in the same subcircuit and switch.

Old 09-25-18, 04:10 PM
S
That could be. I’m mostly just looking to confirm that this is a safe way to wire. I wouldn’t have even thought about it if not for the lights flashing.

Old 09-25-18, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your switch is not between two lights. It is one switch feeding two lights. It's location is not important.

If they are definitely the type of lights that can be forced on by turning the switch on and off twice..... then you can have several connected to the same switch and they should work in unison.

Your wiring method is fine and your alternate proposed wiring accomplishes the same thing.

Old 09-26-18, 04:23 AM
S
The instructions have directions for manual override. Sometimes when I try to override, the right light flashes, then the second light will flash while the first light stops. Very strange.

Could just be somethig in the circuit board of the sensor light. What I should’ve done is maybe run a 3 wire and run the light and sensor on separate feeds, where the sensor would stay on at all times and I could flip the lights directly. Just afraid that would’ve damaged the light.

Looks like i might just need better quality fixtures

Old 09-26-18, 05:21 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Looks like i might just need better quality fixtures
This says it all. I'm betting you're using something like a Heath-Zenith unit. They are fine but not highest quality. The electronics probably have a wide range of sensitivity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: