Floor receptacles?

Old 09-25-18, 04:47 PM
Upvotes Received: 4
Floor receptacles?

Did a search here for floor receptacles and no hits. I'm redoing my next house with a 600 sqft great room... kitchen, dining, living. If I have the couch and other items in the middle of the room, is it reasonable to install a couple of floor receptacles? I just don't see much discussed about them. Using rugs become an issue, and if I use a corded multi extension, then you have a trip issue. Should/must they be GFCI? Comments pls.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-18, 05:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 7
Floor receptacles can add versatility to furniture layouts. GFI protection is not required, but can be added.

Old 09-25-18, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
Floor receptacles for tables lamps next to furniture is ideal. I install them all the time. Then a year or two later the customer wants to change the room layout and has receptacles in the middle of nowhere.

Install them with care and an eye to the future.

You can buy a complete kit with adjustable box, receptacle, and a brass cover with either little pop up doors or screw in covers.

Old 09-25-18, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
Some floor receptacles can be almost perfectly flush with the floor covering like this: Arlington | while other just use a old style weather proof cover. There are also covers that are in between that sit only1/4" above the finished floor.

Of course, AFCI protection may be required.

Old 09-29-18, 07:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 9
Agreed, they are great in large rooms when you have a pretty solid furniture layout. If I were installing them in my house, I'd make a note where the cable goes - in case in the future I want to disconnect, abandon it and carpet/floor over it.