Updating electric to garage

Old 09-26-18, 11:25 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Updating electric to garage

I am updating electric to my garages. They are both detached. Both have electric but I want to upgrade to 60 amp for both. I want to put an60 amp sub in both. The first garage is serviced by 6 wire from main panel that is in 1 1/4” conduit. The other had a DB wire with 15amps. Total run is 155ft. What size wire do I need and what size conduit? Also can I keep the existing conduit in place and just run new wire through it?

Old 09-28-18, 09:07 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
You can often reuse conduit, but sometimes it has corroded and collapsed and will have to be abandoned. Depends on how old and what kind of material. If the wires are stuck inside there is a conduit release chemical you can pour in and dissolve the gunk. Sometimes a heavy air compressor can blow out the crap, but it makes a huge mess so put up some tarps.

A 60A service can be installed with #6 copper THWN hot and neutral wires with #10 green ground; or #4 XHHW aluminum hot and neutral wires with #8 green ground. However given the length of over 150' it would be a good idea to bump up one wire size to compensate for voltage drop. Either option needs at least 1" conduit, but bigger is better for a long distance pull.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: