Help with gfci

Old 09-26-18, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with gfci

Hey,

Please bear with me itís a lengthy one

so outside in the yard I have a standard duplex outlet in a square permanent post, being fed through pipe underground, which is not working. Itís only being fed through one pipe, so itís a dead end (no in and out). Sure enough I discovered another permapost buried half underground with a gfci! It reset and it was up and running. However, the standard duplex it has as its load side (the first outlet I discussed) still did not get power after I reset the new found gfci. By the way, I did confirm this gfci I found was wired with the duplex by running my fish tape through the pipe, and ultimately discovering the half buried perma post with gfci. So I ran new wires ( black green and white) through the pipe to connect the duplex outlet to the gfci. The issue is, the gfci works fine, however the duplex outlet I connected it with my new wires does not work. It reads 120 on the meter and my voltage tester goes off but still no power. My question is, if I accidentally tied in my load side wires on the LINE terminals of the gfci, would that cause this type of issue, or is there something else going on?

thanks and look forward to any ideas

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-18, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The wiring going to the second receptacle needs to be connected to the LOAD side of the working GFI receptacle. So on the GFI receptacle.... you should have two white wires, two black wires and a ground on it.

If you connected the remote receptacle to the GFI receptacle using the LINE terminals.... it would still work but not be protected.

Old 09-26-18, 07:38 PM
Thanks yes that’s completely understood, but say I accidentally connected my load side wires with the line side terminals by accidentally splicing it in not paying attention would it give me that open neutral result I mentioned (showing 120 but not powering anything) ?

Old 09-26-18, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
The LINE side terminals are always live. They remain live when the GFI is tripped. The receptacle and the LOAD side terminals are dead when tripped. So if the GFI receptacle checks ok..... it means it is in the set or normal position.... then the load and line side terminals are both live.

There shouldn't need to be any splicing done. The receptacles come with two wire locations at every screw terminal.

Name:  GFCI-Back.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  43.1 KB

Old 09-26-18, 08:10 PM
ok as I though thanks. So basically wiring it to the line terminals is ok but it would defeat the purpose of the gfci. Just FYI I spliced into the gfci because it already had wires on the load side, I just pulled them out of the pipe and cut them shorter and used wire nuts. Basically it allowed me to hook up the wires without removing the gfci and unscrewing the terminals etc. so that leaves why I am getting 120 on the duplex outlet but it won’t power anything..

Old 09-26-18, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
Can't help you with that.
If voltage is ok where the wires are connected but not at the other end..... it doesn't leave much.

Old 09-26-18, 09:12 PM
Yeah I hear you, I’m confused about it. There is a pipe coming in providing power for gfci and a pipe going out for duplex receptacle load. If there was an open neutral it would impact the gfci too but the gfci is ok

Old 09-26-18, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Did you actually plug something like a light into the GFI receptacle ?

Old 09-26-18, 09:19 PM
Yes sir a landscape light with a plug I wired to it, light comes on just fine. On the duplex though nothing, despite my meter saying I have 120v

Old 09-26-18, 09:52 PM
Group Moderator
If you have white on the silver screw and black on the brass screw..... it must work.
There are no variable here.

Old 09-27-18, 04:41 PM
Received 21 Votes on 16 Posts
despite my meter saying I have 120v

And with that meter you get the 120 volts when testing hot to neutral? Hot to ground? Which is it or is it both?

Old 09-27-18, 07:57 PM
120v from hot to neutral sir

Old 09-27-18, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Check and see if you have that same voltage when a light is plugged into that receptacle. If the power drops to nearly nothing.... you have an open (poor connection) wiring splice. You can check from hot to ground..... if that is ok.... then there is an open or poor neutral splice.