Running electric to shed

Old 09-27-18, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running electric to shed

Hello all!

Iím working on a project that I need advice on. I have done some research but am still left with a few questions.

I am looking to run 120V to my shed (125 ft from main panel). This will be used for an LED light, exterior floodlight and a couple of outlets. Iím planning on running 2 circuits using 10-3 UF in rigid metal conduit from a double pull 15 amp breaker.

I would like one circuit to remain hot all of the time for the interior lights/outlets.

Ideally, the second circuit will be be connected via a timer to control the floodlight. I would like this switch to be controlled from the house.

The main questions I have are:

Would installing a timer with 14AWG connections at the beginning of the run have any negative impacts (Iíll be using a 15 amp breaker)?

Will 6-8 inches of burial be sufficient in rigid conduit?

is any additional grounding needed at the shed?

Do you see any other obvious issues with this setup?

Thanks!
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-18, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 336 Votes on 314 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Many ways to do what you want. 10-3 UF in pipe is not the greatest of choices. Separate wires in conduit make for a more flexible and easier installation. 10-3 will yield you 30A of power but either you need to set a sub panel in the shed and use 20A breakers there or use a 2P20A breaker in the source panel.

Keeping it as strictly two circuits will not require any additional ground at the shed.

If you are using three wire cable just to get the switched light..... then I'd suggest using #12 for your timer. This will give you one 20A receptacle circuit and the switched light circuit.

Old 09-28-18, 08:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
6" burial depth is allowed only with galvanized threaded steel rigid conduit. This is expensive and difficult to install, so I only recommend if deeper trenching is actually impossible. PVC conduit can be buried at 18" depth or UF cable directly at 24". +1 on the recommendation to use THWN conductors in the conduit instead of UF. With the distance there would be no problem using #12 wire and a 20A DP breaker. Not really a need to upsize to #10.