How to isolate one switch and light on 4 way circuit

Old 09-30-18, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to isolate one switch and light on 4 way circuit

Hey everyone,

I just moved into my new condo and I an area in my entry hall and and office where there are 3 light switches and 3 can lights all on one circuit. I would like to keep the two entry hall lights on the two switches at either end of the hall, but make the office light and switch operate separately. Its a standard 4 way switch with red and black in and out. There are 2 conduits that come into the switch box with white/red/black/green, green is all combined and grounded to switch, red and black go though switch and white is connected to flow through conduit.

Whats the best way to begin to separate this room?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-18, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 506 Votes on 476 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It may not be possible to do what you want. There is no way for us to help you unless we know exactly how it's wired. You'd need to check the wiring at every switch location and tells us what is there or post pictures. How-to-insert-pictures

Last edited by PJmax; 10-01-18 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-01-18, 06:06 AM
Received 40 Votes on 38 Posts
Don't know whether I should come right out and say, call an electrician.

In many cities, work in multifamily, commercial, and non owner occupied property needs to be done by a licensed person.

The switch box you described holds the "middle" or "4 way" switch. One would separate the switch by removing it and then connecting the loose wires red to red and black to black.

But the box does not have a (constant) power source to power the light that will be separated. In addition it is possible that the box may be too small to introduce more wires to serve the switch and light that will be separated.

The light above is probably connected to its mates similarly. You would separate it by unhooking it and taking it down for a moment. Maintain any existing connections of black to black and white to white but do not interconnect white and black..

Again it is possible that the ceiling box is too small to accommodate the cable down to the switch for the separated light and possibly an additional cable for power.

You might consider a wireless switch possibly installed in the same box as the box you took apart and someone removed the 4 way switch from. There would be another module installed in the light fixture.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-01-18 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-01-18, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, I already have an electrician coming out to do some other lighting modifications to the unit, I have a lot of experience with automotive wiring and electrical in that realm. Was mostly looking for guidance on the common connections. Found a few diagrams that match up with what I see and it i looking like the process will require some actual rewiring. I was hoping to make that room simple as I would be happy with simply converting it to its own switch but I might just go ahead and redo it exactly how I want with some additional can lights along the wall to frame some art.