Long run to sub panels

Old 10-02-18, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Long run to sub panels

I have a ranch house on a slab with a two car attached garage which is where the 200 amp main panel is located. My plan is to run thru the attach down the far side of the house and across a bridge over a pond to a newly constructed shed and then continue on to a secondary shed.

The plan is to run 100a on 2-2-2-4 Gray Stranded AL SER Cable thru the attack to a junction box on the far wall. From the junction box run 2-2-2-4 Black Stranded AL Quad Dyke URD Cable sleeving it in 2" pvc down the outside wall into the ground and again sleeving it in 2" pvc on the underside of the bridge back into the ground. Distance from junction box to shed is about 190'. In the shed set a 100am main breaker panel. Changing main breaker to 60amp and unbounded neutral bar with a separate ground bus with #6 copper to a ground rod. then 10/3 Gray Solid CU UF-B W/G Wire to the second shed 85' and set a main lug panel with unbounded neutral and a separate ground bus with #6 copper to a ground rod. Does this sound right?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-18, 11:26 AM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
#2 Al is limited to 90A as a feeder. Also URD is to be terminated outside the structure, it can not enter the structure. If using conduit consider using individual wires of XHHW-2 or Mobile Home Feeder(MHF) which can enter the structure. Feed the #2Al with a 60A breaker at the main service panel and leave the 100A in the subpanel as a disconnect.

Old 10-06-18, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks pattonp

the junction box is outside near the eve. Think I will order a 90 amp for the main panel. I did mostly residential with few sub panels. I know they have to be unbounded but does the ground from the main service panel also go on the neutral bar?

Old 10-06-18, 05:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
The sheds will need a means of disconnect.

Old 10-07-18, 02:38 PM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
All grounds go to the ground bar that is bonded to the case in a subpanel. All neutrals go to an unbonded/isolated neutral bar in a subpanel.