Sub Panel: Service Entrance Conductors

Old 10-02-18, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sub Panel: Service Entrance Conductors

I will be running 2-2-2-4 MHF (USE-2) cable underground in 1.5" schedule 40 out to a detached garage. The run is 70' from the house. The garage is on a slope and where I will be coming in with the run there is about 22" of concrete above grade. The panel will be inside at eye level. At a distance of approx. 5.5' from the floor. I prefer not to run PVC up that high outside of the grage and am wondering the best way to protect the conductors in the all. Wondering about installing the LB at around 3' (6-8" above stem wall) and come into the garage, then up inside the wall the remaining 2.5' or so to the top of the panel. I will be using schedule 80 above grade outside. Is it acceptable to use this in the wall as well or should I be using something like 1 1/4" EMT in the wall. They are 2x4 walls. I want to definitely protect the cables to code and ensure the best insulation inside the building.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-18, 04:21 PM
Received 33 Votes on 27 Posts
Using PVC conduit in the wall is okay. If you have MHF it should also be rated RHH/RHW. Make sure it's not just USE-2.

Old 10-03-18, 08:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
There's not enough depth in a standard stud wall for a 1-1/4" conduit sweep so you'd have to use back to back LB conduit bodies which must remain accessbile. That means you couldn't finish the interior wall of the garage under the panel. If that's OK, then no problem. It's OK to use PVC conduit inside the garage walls - no need to switch to EMT.