Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Lights and outlet is not working on one breaker. What could be the problem?

Old 10-02-18, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi my lights in the hallway and outlets on the same breaker is not coming on. I looked at the circuit breaker and it's not tripped. I last turned the lights on in the morning for a few minutes now this evening there is no power. I tried turning the circuit breaker on and off it snap back like normal but still no power. What could be wrong? I'm thinking maybe it's a bad circuit breaker. What troubleshooting could I do to possibly find out whats wrong. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-18, 05:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you don't have a multimeter to check the breaker tempirarly move the wire to anither breaker of the same size. Have you read: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...ther-info.html

Old 10-02-18, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Short answer is that if it's not the breaker, it's often a GFCI but this circuit sounds like it might not have one. If not, you need to find the last working receptacle or fixture on the circuit, as the problem is usually there or at the first one not working.

Old 10-03-18, 11:47 AM
okay I use a meter and the breaker is working. I even switched another breaker of the same size and still no power. There is one GFCI outlet on the breaker it won't reset so I this connected it and test the wires for power. there is no current from the wires so that eliminates the outlet. I looked at the switches for the lights and everything looks connected but there is no juice running though the wires. What is left is 6 recessed lights connected to the breaker.Should I take down each one to see if there's a problem? I was trying to afford doing that be that it's a lot of work but I will have to if needed. strange I was home all day and I didn't smell anything burning or popping. any advice would be appreciated especially before I start disassembling the cam lights.

Old 10-03-18, 01:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
Is there power to the gfci? If not you need to look at something before the gfci

Old 10-03-18, 03:14 PM
There is no power to the GFCI outlet