Wiring in the basement

Old 10-03-18, 01:17 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wiring in the basement

My plumber friend installed a new submersible pump in my well and he used 12 awg 3-wire for the power. The wiring comes into the house and is just laying on the floor until it hooks goes into the pressure switch. I want to put that wire inside some pipe and some electrical boxes. I have plenty of 3/4" and 1" white pvc pipe in my garage. Is that okay to run the wire in that type pipe. The entire length of the wiring is about 15 feet. Thank you.

Rich

This project to change the jet pump over to a submersible pump is a much bigger job than I thought it would be. But it is almost finished and now I just want to 'button up' the loose ends and 'have a nice day'!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-18, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
No. You may not use white plumbing pipe for any type of electrical wiring, even if it just to protect the cable. Electrical PVC is gray and quite inexpensive. The proper gray fittings should also be used.

Also by"wire" I assume you mean cable, and I would expect it to be gray UF cable.

Old 10-03-18, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have loads of white pvc pipe and that's why I asked. The wire is 3 separate strands of 12 awg solid that is suitable for well use. It is not gray cable but red, black, and green. It is in a pipe until it gets into my basement and I am going to put the rest into a pipe, too. It will be protected from anything that might happen, which is almost nil since activity in my basement amounts to my wife and me getting the the freezer.

Old 10-03-18, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
The individual wires are required to be in conduit so that is good you are taking care of that. The conduit is required to be continuous to the junction point (box or other access point. ) Another option would be to run the conduit to a box and then convert it to a cable going to the pressure switch.

Old 10-03-18, 05:45 PM
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
What you have is twisted submersible pump cable. Usually it is terminated at the junction box on top of the well casing and switched over to UF-b or THWN in a conduit.
If there is no junction box, you should have one. Otherwise servicing the pump later can become a huge task.

You cannot use plumbing PVC for conduit.
PVC electrical conduits are very cheap and more flexible compared to plumbing PVC.
You have to have continuous run from the well casing to where ever individual wires end. Therefore it will be better to switch over to NM-b in your house or just run UF-b all the way. Otherwise you will have to deal with all different bends.

Is this a new well? If not, why did your friend pull new cable? Could not use existing wiring?

Old 10-03-18, 06:56 PM
There was no wiring to the well before. I used a jet pump that sat in my basement and that was wired up. I decided to put in a submersible pump which needed wiring run to it. The twisted submersible pump cable runs to the pump and is connected above the well casing after it goes through about 30 inches of pipe to the ground level. The connection is above the piping at ground level and from there it goes through another pipe underground to the basement. From there it goes through a hole that was where the original piping came in from the well to the jet pump. It's in the basement where the 3 wire goes to the switch and where I want to put it into piping so it's not just laying on the floor as it is right now.

Last edited by erniebanks; 10-03-18 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-03-18, 07:54 PM
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
connected above the well casing after it goes through about 30 inches of pipe to the ground level. The connection is above the piping at ground level and from there it goes through another pipe underground to the basement.
What pipe? Plumbing PVC pipe? Flexible well tubing?
If so, it is all wrong. Those wires has to run in a conduit. Plumbing pipe and electrical conduit is not the same thing.
When buried it should be 18" underground as well. (Unless covered with concrete or runs under the slab)
If existing pipe is at least 18" underground, then you might be able to get away by replacing wire with UF-b.
Technically it would still be wrong, but UF-b can be buried directly without conduit and the pipe could be just considered sleeve instead.