New electrical boxes, flush or not?

Old 10-03-18, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New electrical boxes, flush or not?

I'm putting plastic electrical boxes in my new built, they have 2 tabs on the sides as a depth gauge but they're only 1/4 inch. Drywall is 1/2 inch, if I go by the tabs wouldn't that put my box to far inside the drywall? Should I just forget about the tabs and bring the boxes out 1/2 inch?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-18, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Code allows the boxes to be set back 1/8" of non combustible material (IE drywall) I use the little tabs as a guide to set them about 3/8". You don't want to set them exactly at 1/2" because any twisting or bowing of the stud might make the boxes stick out past the drywall which is worse then having them set back.

Old 10-04-18, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ok, I'll gauge them by the little tabs, I just wasn't sure if the boxes would be to far in and the box switch plate screws would be to short..

Old 10-04-18, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
They would have to be Really far back for that to happen. Screws on devices are about 1" long

Old 10-04-18, 08:05 PM
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
One more thing to consider. Modern studs has rounded edges. If you set the tabs on junction box right against the edge, you will end up with a junction box that is set slightly too deep.
It will still be within acceptable depth, but I like to bump it out about 1/16" off the edge so that it aligns with face of the stud.

Old 10-05-18, 08:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I have a couple templates made from 7/16" OSB with box size cut outs. It makes set up very quick to hold the template up to the stud, flush the box up to the edge and nail. No measuring required. It also helps to compensate for some of the twist or radius on the edge of the stud The 7/16" thickness sets the box just behind 1/2" drywall depth.