Garage/Kitchen cicuit

Old 10-09-18, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage/Kitchen cicuit

Recently purchased a home built in 1999. Was going through breakers attempting to map out all the circuits and outlet locations as their all labeled "Lites" or "Appliance" only.
The 15A circuit for my kitchen lights has 4 light fixtures in the kitchen/dining, 1 in the mudroom, the garage door opener-outlet, lights in garage, and one GFCI duplex outlet in the garage. Right now we have a chest freezer in the garage which is where we want to keep it, but the kitchen lights dim/flicker when the compressor kicks in.
I'd like to add 2-3 more LED fixtures in the garage and a few outlets. Not sure the best way to go about it and meet NEC code. I think the existing garage outlet and garage opener being on a circuit with lights is a no-no?
​​​​​​The garage lights are all LED as is some of the kitchen, rest in kitchen are incadescent still, and a halogen spotlight fixture.
Option A: New 15A circuit for 2-3 new lights, new 15A (or 20A) for 4-6 outlets in garage, New 20A circuit for the chest freezer, leave current lights/oulet alone.
Option B: New 20A circuit for chest freezer, New 15A/20A circuit for outlets, tie new lights into the existing circuit.
Option C: new 20A for chest freezer, new 20A for 6-8 outlets, with 2 being on ceiling for non-hardwired lights, leave existing circuit as-is.

The garage is drywalled, not painted or primed yet.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-18, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I think the existing garage outlet and garage opener being on a circuit with lights is a no-no?
By today's code maybe, depends on total HP of GDO, but it was OK and typical in 1999.

I would leave the existing as-is to as much extent you can, add a new 20A circuit for the freezer and other general-purpose garage receptacles, and perhaps add a new circuit for the GDO. Note that now ALL garage receptacles must have GFCI protection, even the ceiling GDO receptacle.

Old 10-09-18, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
add a new 20A circuit for the freezer and other general-purpose garage receptacles, and perhaps add a new circuit for the GDO.
I should clarify. The GDO is on a duplex outlet on the ceiling, and the chest freezer is on a GFI outlet on the wall. It's a 3/4HP opener, no dimming when we open or close the door.
Can my freezer be on a circuit with other receptacles? I assumed it had to follow the dedicated circuit rule.

Old 10-09-18, 03:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
The freezer does.not need a dedicated circuit.