10/2 or 10/3 wire for Welder

Old 10-12-18, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
10/2 or 10/3 wire for Welder

Hello,
I have a 240v, 20 amp welder. Me being a DIY person and learning as I go, I installed the outlet and ran the wire about 75 feet from my garage to my electrical box. Before I did this I researched and made sure I know the gist of what I’m doing. I bought 10/2 wire having my ground and the white and black will be considered hot wires on the breaker. After I get everything hooked up my dad came over and told me I need 10/3 wire. The white and copper ground should be secure in the ground strip and the black and red are hot. Who would be right in this case? The outlet will only be used for the welder and I do plan on shutting the breaker off when it’s not in use since I have little kids. Before I hook this thang up I just want to be sure I’m ok. Don’t want to explain to the wife why I burned down our $350K house.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-18, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You are right. The white is remarked red or any color but gray or green.. This is an attached garage isn't it? If not and it already had power you can't run a second feed.

Old 10-12-18, 02:12 PM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
Welder doesn't use a neutral (white wire in 3 wire), as said by Ray, 2 w/ground is what you need for 240V only. 3 w/ground is 120V\240V.

Old 10-15-18, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you all. Yes itís a an attached garage.