Wire a ceiling fan

Old 10-07-18, 03:24 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wire a ceiling fan

New to the forum because this fan has me stumped. It has an old style switch that toggle horizontally. There are 2 black wires, a white, and a ground. The box in the ceiling has one black, one white, and a ground. The old fan was controlled one switch for fan and one for lights. I was going to wire it up the same.

I made the mistake of not photographing how the old fan was wired.

I tried blue and black from the fan to black, white to white, and green to ground and got nothing.

Hopefully this is an easy answer for someone.

Old 10-07-18, 03:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
There are 2 black wires, a white, and a ground.
Assuming this is cable not conduit you are missing a white wire. Please post a poctire of the switch box wires.

Old 10-07-18, 03:47 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
The box in the ceiling has one black, one white, and a ground.
How are the switches wired?
It is not possible to control fan and light independently with just 1 black and 1 white. Unless someone used ground wire is neutral, which is not allowed.

Did old ceiling fan have a remote controller? In that case, it is possible to control light and fan using remote controller (some remote controllers are permanently mounted to the wall).

Old 10-07-18, 03:56 PM
D
I think Lambition may be on to something. I cant remember how the old fan was wired, but it was wacky. Black to White, Green to blue, or something similar. I took some pictures of the switch, and will try to post them.

Attached Images    

Last edited by duscarter; 10-07-18 at 04:00 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 10-07-18, 04:01 PM
D
I don't care if the operate independently or not. I will be replacing the switch soon.

I have a single pole switch I can use. Would it be as simple as capping the extra black wire in the box?

Looks like the neutrals are connected to the grounds.

Attached Images  

Last edited by duscarter; 10-07-18 at 04:15 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-07-18, 04:26 PM
L
That confirms my suspicion. You have ground wire wired to a neutral wire. (Yellow wire nut in the picture.)

This is not allowed and not safe. Now you don't have ground to the ceiling fan and uninsulated current carrying conductor.

Black wire with tape is hot wire feeding the switch.
Black and white wires on the other side is going to the ceiling fan.

You should connect white wires together and remove ground wire.
Connect the ground wire with other ground wire.

Replace the switch with single switch or a remote controller switch and just connect 2 black wires and ground to the switch.

On the ceiling fan side, connect white to white, ground to ground (green).
If controlling both fan and light with single switch, connect both black and and blue to black.
If using remote controller, wire black wire from receiver to black and output of the the receiver to matching color wire of the fan.

Old 10-07-18, 04:29 PM
D
You nailed it, killing the power now to do as you instructed. I will post if I have any questions.

Old 10-07-18, 05:21 PM
D
Thanks for the help Lambition! Working like it should, and I got rid of that old switch.

I need to do the other bedroom too. It was wired the same. I managed to get that fan going, but judging from this it isn't safe.

Old 10-11-18, 11:38 AM
D
Ok, working on the other bedroom, and I have three ground wires.

Can I leave the two crimped together, and use the one I pulled from the neutral for my switch, or do I need to pigtail them?

Attached Images  
Old 10-11-18, 01:16 PM
L
I pulled from the neutral for my switch, or do I need to pigtail them?
You have to tie all ground wires together and pigtail to the switch. Ground wire tied to the neutral runs to your ceiling fan and it is not connected to ground wire at all.
You can cut off crimped end and wire nut it with additional pigtail.

If your existing ground wire is long enough, you can leave one ground wire long and twist and crimp. Use this long ground wire to ground switch.

Taped hot wire does not appear to have a wirenut. It should be tied with wirenut. No need for tape.

Old 10-11-18, 01:29 PM
D
Thanks, the hot wire on the other switch was taped too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: