How to fish new cable line in place of an old one

Old 10-16-18, 10:40 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to fish new cable line in place of an old one

Hello,
I recently had our cable provider out to look into an issue I am having with our TV/Cable Box in my living room. They ran tests of the cable box,connectors and lines and determined that the cable line that runs from the living room down through a finished lower level is bad and needs to be replaced. It's an old type of cable and it is not working. The lower level is finished however the room that the cable terminates in is a utility room with an exposed ceiling. In this room the cable line from the LR plugs into a small silver/metal box with several cable lines connected to it.

My question is this; as there is an existing cable can you not attach a new length of cable to the LR cable line and pull it through the walls/ceiling? Do you have to use a fishing tape and cut "hand holes" through the drywall. I have one quote from a local electrical/data company and they want $400.00 labor (4 hours) plus the cost of the cable. And they said they would need to create these "hand holes" in the drywall. Wouldn't you only need to use a fish tape and create holes if you are creating a new path for a new cable/electrical line? Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Vance

Old 10-16-18, 11:22 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
If the cable was added about the rooms were finished, you have a possibility that it is hanging loose inside the walls. In contrast, new construction or if the walls are open, it would be secured every xx feet. Anyhow, buy a female-female coupler for the cable and connect your new length of cable to the old one. Maybe put some tape over the junction to smooth it out. Go to the other end of the cable and give a tug. If you can get the whole thing moving, you can pull the new one through by removing the old one.

Good luck.

- Peter

Old 10-16-18, 11:28 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response Peter,I'll give it a try!

Old 10-17-18, 10:00 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
If you run into problems, try giving another electrician a call. There are all sorts of tricks to fish wires without making holes in walls. Sometimes a hand-hole is needed... but it's rare if you are creative with other chases throughout the house.

(Example: maybe you can run it up through the inside of a closet on the first floor to the attic and come back down. You'll see it in the closet, but it's really not in anyone's way. Or use the plumbing stack as a chase to fish up/down. Just some ideas)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: