Dryer Trips Another GFCI, But Not Its Own!

Old 10-16-18, 12:24 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dryer Trips Another GFCI, But Not Its Own!

Hey, guys!

After years of not having any problems, my electric dryer suddenly started tripping a GFCI outlet across the room (same line) when a drying cycle begins. Yet, the GFCI that IT (the dryer) is plugged into is NOT tripped, so the dryer continues to function well without any issues!

The washing machine, plugged into the same GFCI receptacle as the dryer, functions without any issues.

The tripping happens immediately when the dryer begins to function (not when turned on, but rather, when the actual drying cycle begins).

When plugging the dryer into an extension cord which is connected to an outlet in another room (on a different line), the dryer functions well, without any tripping issues. So it is just the one recepticle located in the same room as the dryer that has suddenly started to trip as a result of the dryer starting a cycle.

I changed the tripping GFCI outlet, and it continues to function perfectly, as long as the dryer is not being used.

ANY ideas you may have about this puzzling situation which has suddenly developed would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 10-16-18, 01:51 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
First I assume this is a gas dryer, not electric? When it is plugged into the other circuit via extension cord, are you sure it's firing and heating up, not just turning and blowing air?

Old 10-16-18, 03:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
2 gfci on the same circuit? Should be only one. One that is tripping could be bad.

Old 10-17-18, 10:47 AM
J
The dryer is electric — and it works perfectly at all times, but it suddenly starting tripping another GFCI on the same circuit. I replaced the GFCI that began tripping, and the new one is tripping, as well.

The dryer is causing the tripping, yet it does not trip the GFCI into which it is plugged — this is what confounds me...

Thanks!

Old 10-17-18, 11:21 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
Is the tripping gfci up stream or down stream from dryer? I assume up but want to make sure. If up stream the dryer gfci should get power from the LINE side of an up stream gfci.

Old 10-17-18, 12:43 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The dryer is electric — and it works perfectly at all times, but it suddenly starting tripping another GFCI on the same circuit.
That doesn't make sense, An electric dryer is normally on a dedicated 240v circuit. Usually no GFCI s on 240v circuits. Are you saying it is a GFCI on a 240v circuit shared with the dryer?

Last edited by ray2047; 10-17-18 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 03:44 AM
A
Received 162 Upvotes on 135 Posts
Ray2047 - I have been thinking the same thing as you. But doing a search on Home Depot they do sell 120V dryers. I thought they were long gone as they are energy hogs and takes for ever to dry clothes.

So I guess it could be a 120V dryer in this case.

Old 10-18-18, 03:25 PM
J
I’m sorry, I meant to say it’s a gas dryer...Today, I decided to replace the tripping GFCI with a non-GFCI outlet to see what would happen — I bet you can guess what happened: when I turned on the dryer cycle, it blew the circuit.

Unfortunately, I don’t know how to determine the direction of the stream — is there some way I can do this?

Do you think the GFCI into which the dryer is plugged may not work properly, which is why it hasn’t tripped, but trips the other GFCI on the circuit, instead?

Old 10-18-18, 03:36 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
There should only be one GFCI. Using a multimeter determine which box has power in. Place the GFCI there. Connect the cable out to the second receptacle to the load side of the GFCI and use a non GFCI receptacle at the second location.

Old 10-18-18, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Reinstall old gfci and unplug dryer. Plug in a light or something and see if gfci still trips. If it does take dryer gfci out and install regular outlet and still see if it trips.

Old 10-18-18, 05:01 PM
J
Thanks, Ray, The box with the power is the one into which the washer and dryer are plugged. It has a GFCI outlet that has never tripped. As far as the wiring goes, this setup has been working well for more than 10 years — doesn’t this indicate that the wiring is not the problem?

Pugsl, the washing machine does not cause the tripping, and I’ve tried a dehumidifier and a lamp, as well, with no problems. It’s only the dryer that causes the other GFCI to trip...

I am wondering if the GFCI into which the washer/dryer are plugged has failed, losing its ability to trip — which may be why the other GFCI on the circuit is tripping — does this sound feasible? If so, I thought I should change this GFCI which has never tripped...

Old 10-19-18, 03:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you try the outlet that popped breaker with dryer unplugged? If not try it that way. Trying to see if dryer has a short to ground.

Old 10-19-18, 11:42 AM
P
I think you figured out an important thing... the GFCI the dryer is plugged into is bad. Unfortunately, when a GFCI outlet goes bad it freezes in the On state. A problem I wish would be addressed by the manufacturers. I can't tell you how many times I have found bad GFCI outlets in this state on outside pool circuits. Very dangerous. Also, I agree with a: the dryer is causing a ground fault or short, and b: there should only be one GFCI on the circuit. Here is what I suggest for the circuit:
1. Go to Harbor Freight or just about anywhere and get a circuit tester that has a button to trip the GFCI. This is probably the best single electrical safety investment you can make. Test the two GFCI;s if you want but do the rest of these steps anyway.
2. Open both boxes and remove the GFCIs. Throw away the one from the dryer outlet.
3. Test all the black wires to find which one has power (if you did this when the other outlet GFCI was there you may not have found the right one. This hot wire (along with it's corresponding white wire) should be attached to the LINE side of a new GFCI outlet regardless of which box it is in.
4. Attach the other set of wires to the LOAD side of that GFCI.
5. Put a regular outlet in the other box (there should only be 1 GFCI on the circuit).
6. Test both outlets with your new tester to be sure the circuits are wired correctly, and that either outlet will trip the GFCI. Also check that when it is tripped, both outlets are dead.
7. The fact that the GFCI tripped first in your earlier tests but the dryer tripped the circuit breaker in your other test indicates the dryer has a short in it and as you figured out, that short is in the circuit within the dryer that starts up the heat. You'll need to get information on your exact make and model dryer (search the model number and you'll probably find all you need). Then open the dryer up (after unplugging it of course) and see if you can spot any loose or worn wires that may be touching the frame. This is the most likely cause. You'll be amazed at how much lint is in there so have a shop vac and an old paint brush handy and clean out everything you can. Be careful around the flame starter, it is fragile and expensive if it is a ceramic glow plug. That's the unit where the gas comes out and is ignited to create the heat. The info you found on your model will tell you more.
Best of luck
Be safe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: