How to attach drip loop service entry

Old 10-20-18, 11:38 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to attach drip loop service entry

Hello Everyone

We are changing the service entry cable and meter socket in our house in WNY. I had the electric company disconnect the electric on Friday and they ended up disconnecting it at the pole.

So the question is that if we have to attach our SE cable to theirs which is coming from the ploe, how do we do this.

thanks

Old 10-21-18, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Here the power.company used crimp sleeves. Contractors do not make the connections.

Old 10-21-18, 04:52 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, POCO usually makes that termination,at least here they do, I would check with them .
Geo

Old 10-21-18, 09:09 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
how do we do this.
I would use split bolts and tape, but since the power company must come back anyway, I'd have them do it. Here a permit and inspection would also be required and the power company will not reconnect till they have the wiring approval.

Old 10-21-18, 11:13 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CasualJoe
I would use split bolts and tape, but since the power company must come back anyway, I'd have them do it. Here a permit and inspection would also be required and the power company will not reconnect till they have the wiring approval.
Hello

A permit is most definitely required here as well and they won't reconnect until the inspector passes it. Apart from the risk of electrocution and the risk of falling, the work is pretty simple.

I cut those three wires before the connection. It was a bit of a task up in the air but got it done with a little bit of effort.

Yup, will let the power company deal with it. If you look at this spec page from BPU https://imgur.com/a/JG84ryX on the one without the mast it says 'customer to provide attachment', this lead me to believe we have to attach those cables. But just now I also saw 'company shall furnish and install service drop conductors', so they might do it.

Old 10-22-18, 07:00 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
'customer to provide attachment',
If this a service drop replacement, the attachment point should already be installed unless you have removed it.

Old 10-22-18, 05:39 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
it says 'customer to provide attachment', this lead me to believe we have to attach those cables.

"Attachment" in your case refers to the insulator the service drop attaches to on the house, sometimes called a "House Knob".

Old 10-23-18, 01:01 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Now would be a good time by the way to make sure your attachment insulator is securely fastened to the exterior wall framing (not just siding, sheathing or fascia board), and that there's no rot around it. Back in the old days they sometimes just screwed them in where ever, and sometimes they rot out or corrode from the elements. Around me they now require either stainless or heavy galvanized lag bolts into framing for the attachment point. POCO won't reattach if the insulator isn't solid. Better to verify now than find out during an ice storm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: