ceiling fan

Old 05-21-01, 12:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

How do I wire a ceiling fan so to have the light and fan on seperate switches. I have a combination two single pole switch. I have a white wire, black wire, blue wire (to the light) and a green ground. I am using 12/2 wire as my source and switch wires.

thanks

Rick

Old 05-21-01, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rick,
You can't do it with the wires you have. You must have 12/3 (w/g) cable from the switches to the light. With 12/3 cable from the switch, Red will carry one hot, Black will carry the other hot, and white (neutral) will be shared. If you can or want to change out the cable, come back and I or someone will answer how to wire.
Brian

Old 05-21-01, 01:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

brian

I can change the wire. How do I wire it?

Rick

Old 05-24-01, 05:50 PM
raca
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Rick Wernke
brian

I can change the wire. How do I wire it?

Rick
it depends on where the feed is at the switch or the fan

Old 05-24-01, 06:55 PM
J
Rick, there are a number of options you might want to consider:

(1) Buy an add-on remote control for your fan. The Hunter All-Fan remote ($40) can be added to any make fan. Your light switch can then be used to turn on the light, but if you want to turn on the fan you use the remote.

(2) They make these funny fan attachments sold at the home improvement center. These things are electronic gizmos such that if you turn the switch on, the light come on, if you turn it on-off-on, the fan comes on, and on-off-on-off-on makes the fan and light both come on.

(3) You could use your light switch in combination with the pull-chains to get the desired control.

Anyway, to raca's point about the "feed": If you currently have two cables in the ceiling box and one at the switch box, you have feed at the ceiling box. If you have two cables at the switch box and one in the ceiling box, you have feed at the switch. If you have some other number of cables at either place, then let us know and we'll help you figure it out.

In either event, you need a 12/3 between the ceiling box and the switch box. Post back with the info about the "feed" and we'll tell you how to make the connections (which is by far the simplest part of this question).

Old 11-27-01, 07:12 PM
Visiting Guest
In item 2 of John Nelson's post, he refers to a "funny fan attachments sold at the home improvement center". I apparently have one of these installed in my house.

My problem is that the wall switch is going out. It looks like an ordinary three way wall switch from the outside but I'm not sure.

My question is where does that funny fan attachment normally get installed and what does it look like? Is it in the fan, the switch or somewhere in between? It looks like I am going to have to try to determine the type of switch I have using my circuit tester.

If anyone knows the answer to this, please let me know.

Thanks

Old 11-27-01, 07:57 PM
J
The funny thing is at the fan, usually installed inside the bell. The switch is normal. You may also have a remote-controlled fan with a lost remote. Some of these have default control available at the wall switch (e.g., on a Hunter All-Fan remote, if you turn the wall switch off and then back on again, the light will come on). This remote gizmo is inside the bell too.

Old 11-27-01, 08:43 PM
Visiting Guest
So it is possible that the wall switch is just an ordinary three way. It is a Leviton and has three lugs with two black wires in on one side and one white on the other. It also doesn't have the words "on" and "off" on the toggle.

I know the switch is having some problems. Occationally when I turn it on I can see a flash of an electrical arc inside. It is also a real pain when I'm on the treadmill at 4:30 in the morning and the light starts going on and off. If I wiggle the switch it comes back on again.

I was worried that I had some special switch that was would not be able to find a replacement for. The guys at Home Depot all thought I was from Mars when I told them how my fan operates. Of course they thought I should buy a $30 switch with buttons and sliders. I'm happy that I can just use a cheap three way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: