Trouble shooting man space electrical.

Old 10-27-18, 05:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trouble shooting man space electrical.

A few months ago I turned on the light in my man space,( a small building in my backyard that I use for exercising and one day hope to install my big screen television) and when it came on it then started slowly dimming until it went out. It hasn't worked since nor does any of the recepticals on the east side of my building. The recepticals on the west side still work. I checked the breakers but none of them were tripped. Several months ago when I had the drywall repaired and the interior painted I also had them install new receptacles and overhead light so I have pulled them out to make sure that no wires were disconnected but they all are connected. I also took the light off the box but the wires were still connected. Today I put in new breakers but I still have no power on the east end. I can't afford an electrician right now and I am at wits end. I so want to hook up my t.v. in time for bowl season. Any ideas?

Old 10-27-18, 05:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Your writing suggests more than one breaker to the shed`. By code there can be only one or are you referring to a subpanel in the shed?

Old 10-27-18, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not much detailed information here to help.
I'm guessing a detached building ?
Is there a circuit connected to a two pole breaker in the house panel feeding that building ?

It sounds like you have a 240v service to the building and have lost one of the legs.
Pictures of the subpanel would help....... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 10-28-18, 06:21 AM
S
Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is a detached building or shed if you will. The breaker box that I was referring to is indeed the sub panel inside said building. It has a 20 amp breaker for the east end of building(1.) A double pole 20 amp breaker used for receptacle that one would plug a window air conditioner into(2.+3.) and a 20 amp breaker for the west end of building(4.) The west end receptacles are the only ones currently with power. I will take a picture of the wiring in the sub panel at daylight.
Back ground: We live in a 1940 farmhouse that we had remodeled last year. At the time all the electrical worked so we didnt budget for any electrical work instead having rotting wood replaced and a new flooring. There is a small detached building outside that at one time in history must have been a guest cottage because it had at one time been plumbed for a half bath and has a gas line run to it and electrical and cable t.v. The little bathroom had all the fixtures removed by previous owner so that the building could be used as storage. Eventually, the elderly gentleman was placed into a nursing home and his children rented out the premises to pay for his care. When he passed away they put the property up for sale and my wife fell in love with it. Even though the property had fallen into very bad condition the electrical was still working. So we didnt budget for electrical, other than having new receptacles installed, instead concentrating more on plumbing, structural and cosmetics. At the end we had enough left to have new flooring, interior paint and drywall repair and receptacles and light switch replaced in the detached building so I could have a man cave. A couple of weeks after the work was completed i went to turn on the light switch and after the light came on it slowly started to dim until it went out never to come on again. It was a new light. Also the recepticals on the east side of building have no power.

Old 10-28-18, 06:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Search for any tripped GFCIs, especially hidden behind something, but it sounds like a bad connection. It could be at the last working or first non working.
You will need to begin opening boxes and checking for loose connections. Move any back stabs to the screws. Redo any wiring nuts at lights, switches, and receptacles.

Old 10-28-18, 07:10 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 139 Posts
Could be a loose connection from the sub-panel to the receptacles, or could potentially be a loose connection from your main panel in the house to this sub panel. It's possible you're only getting 'half' (one leg of) your power to the shed.

Do you have a meter? Can you test the voltage out of the breaker, and also the incoming wires into the sub panel?

Old 10-28-18, 09:25 AM
S
Photos of house breaker box & sub panel

I checked connections to sub panel, receptacles, light switch, and light yesterday. I will recheck today. I am afraid to check the breaker box on house for fear of electricity, My Dad died 50 years ago, in a construction accident when I was only 8 years old from electrocution when the crane he was attaching a cable to, the boom hit the power line. I will try to borrow a meter from a friend.
Thank you all for your kind suggestions and helpfulness,
Larry

Name:  L_panel.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  65.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-28-18 at 12:24 PM. Reason: labled picture
Old 10-28-18, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
You can check right at that panel for proper power.
You need to measure...... 240vAC between A and B.
There should also be 120vAC between A and N & B and N.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: