Best way to power device on outtage

Old 11-01-18, 12:08 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best way to power device on outtage

Hello there,

I have a situation where I must power my recirculation pump whenever there is a power outtage and I need to run it for atleast 5 hours or so - the more the better. Pump is 45w and I've calculated that I would need around 960VA UPS to power it up for around 2 hours and if I would buy an UPS that could power it for let's say 5 hours it would cost be alot as the budget is tight for the moment. Then I thought about a generator but realised how do I turn it on when there is power outtage, because most of generators are started by pulling. I need a solution that would start powering the device by itself, would power it for atleast 5 hours and would'nt cost me more than like 150euros, I don't know if it's possible but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-18, 12:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
One thing I have done is tie extra battery capacity into a UPS power supply. Most computer UPS power supplies have a small internal sealed lead acid battery. Open the case and extend the battery wires. Then connect them to a larger battery.

The big drawback is the limited charging capacity of the UPS. Where the UPS may be able to recharge it's small internal battery in a few hours it could take a day or more depending on the size of battery you attach.

Old 11-02-18, 08:30 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I agree. Also some UPS actually have a connector to plug in more external batteries. No need to go inside and get the wires out. A deep cycle marine or RV battery would be a good choice.

Old 11-02-18, 09:28 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I have a situation where I must power my recirculation pump whenever there is a power outtage

The recirculation systems I have been around do not need power to deliver hot water to the tap during a power outage, it just takes longer for the hot water to get there and wastes a little water.

Old 11-03-18, 01:54 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quote:
I have a situation where I must power my recirculation pump whenever there is a power outtage
The recirculation systems I have been around do not need power to deliver hot water to the tap during a power outage, it just takes longer for the hot water to get there and wastes a little water.
Yes but in my case it is a necesity because the pipes are layed out incorrectly and hot water doesn't rise as fast as it should without the pump.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: