light fixture

Old 05-22-01, 07:41 AM
kenL
Visiting Guest
Help, please. I bought a hard wired lighting fixture and the guy at the store told me I can splice it on to a standard plug. Three questions:
1) Is this safe to do?
2) Should I tuck the junction back into the light fixture which will be up against a paneled wall?
3) Can I just ground the fixture back to itself?

Thanks, Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-01, 11:11 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Gee, 11 views and nobody wants to touch this one, Ken. I'll give it a whack.

If you have a JB that you must "tuck back in" I think the fixture was not manufactured to be cord-connected. I envision wires and a JB behind the escucheon or backplate touching the paneling, and it makes me uncomfortable.

If there were a solid metalic or approved non-metalic cover on the back of the light, which would accept an approved box-to-cable connector or cord restraining fitting, I might feel a little more inclined to say something like "sure, fine, go ahead".

Second, how can you ground something to itself? Isn't that like bolting a fan to your sailboat and pointing it into the sail? What you would do is buy a 3-prong, grounded cord, and use all three of the wires, the ground wire properly bonded to the metal of the fixture or the fixture's ground wire.

I'm not so sure that's what you wanted to hear, but that's my take on all of this. There are many ways to do something which are convenient, but are not in any way safe. Go with safe. (Did you save your reciept?)

Good luck.

Juice

Old 05-23-01, 11:33 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking

Read the instructions that came with the light. If the instructions DO NOT show/list connecting the light with a plug. Then DON'T. Bottom line: follow the instructions!