Green screw in Neutral Buss Bar in new subpanel

Old 11-08-18, 09:13 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green screw in Neutral Buss Bar in new subpanel

I've watched numerous YouTube videos of adding a subpanel and the subject of the green screw and when it should or should not be removed seemed clear to me. However, for the sake of safety, I need some clarification. My main panel is on the outside of my house and I am adding the subpanel right next to it. I just bought a new GE subpanel and it has both neutral and ground bus bars already installed. A green screw is provided for the neutral bus bar but not installed. From what I understand, in my situation, the green screw should not be put in. However, on the ground bus bar, there is also a green screw already installed. So, a green screw is always mentioned in subpanel installation and never have I heard anyone refer to whether a green screw should or shouldn't be in the Ground Bus Bar. So, should it be left in or removed?

Last edited by mickeyrory; 11-08-18 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-08-18, 10:14 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
You are correct that the green bonding screw should not be installed between the neutral bar and the box. This will keep the neutral bar electrically isolated from the ground in the subpanel.

A bonding screw should always be installed between the ground bar and the box. All exposed metal surfaces are always bonded to ground. Most panel manufacturers have a bare metal ground bar bolted or screwed directly to the box so bonding is taken care of automatically, but for whatever reason GE ships the one with plastic stand-offs so you need the bonding screw on the ground bar.

Old 11-08-18, 12:43 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, thanks! As I thought, I won't put the grounding screw in the neutral bar and I will leave the one in the grounding bar. And I WAS wondering about the plastic when I first looked at it. Just for curiosity sake I removed the grounding screw from the ground bus bar to see if it was actually long enough to go through the plastic and come in contact with the case. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: