Ground rod with sub panel in shed

Old 11-04-18, 06:41 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ground rod with sub panel in shed

Hello.

I am installing a sub panel in a detached shed. I want to add a service disconnect right above the sub panel in the shed. I have a GE 70 amp main lug, 2 space panel that will have a 40 amp double pole breaker to use as the main off switch for the sub panel. I know that since the sub panel is in a detached building it needs to have its own earth ground (along with the ground from main panel. I will not bond the neutral and ground).

My question is would the grounding rod/wire go the the sub panel only? Or both the sub panel and the main lug disconnect? I cannot find anything about this online. I wish I would have bought a main breaker panel in the first place. I changed my mind about wanting a disconnect in the shed instead of running to the basement in my house to shut it off.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 11-04-18, 07:03 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
The ground rod would typically get connected to the first panel in the shed, in your case, the 2-space disconnect panel. Then there would be a 4-wire feed to the sub-panel.

If you have 2 free spaces in your sub panel, you can install a 40A DP breaker as a back-fed breaker. It needs a hold-down kit (special screw so it can't be easily removed) and a sticker that says 'Main' or 'Main Disconnect'. That functions as your disconnect into the panel. Then you just abandon the hot lugs on that panel.

Old 11-05-18, 06:11 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
If the subpanel has six or less breakers to cut power then a main disconnect is not needed at the shed.

Old 11-08-18, 09:39 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

That makes sense that I would connect it to the first box. I guess it's like my main breaker box in the house that runs to my sub panel in the house. The grounding rod goes to the first box.

I will only have 5 breakers to start but will eventually have more. This is a big shed. I plan to add an outlet for my 30 amp welder eventually. I figured it would be nice to have a main off as it will be much easier to get everything wired up and not have to go back and forth to my basement (and make a mess through the house to get there). I was going to just backfed a main breaker but the retainer clip for my subpanel was more expensive than the 2 lug box. So I figured why take up room in the sub panel when I could just have my own box just for a disconnect. Thanks for your replies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: