Wiring from main to subpanel thru conduit

Old 11-08-18, 09:42 PM
Wiring from main to subpanel thru conduit

I have my subpanel installed next to my main panel. Punch-outs on both panels are side by side and only six inches of conduit was needed to connect. My question is, "since the cable is stripped off inside the main and sub, which would leave only six inches of cable thru the conduit, can I strip the cable off the entire run and just run the conductors, even where it runs through the conduit? Also, would the cable or conductors have to be secured as they enter each panel? The electrician at H.D. picked out a "conduit hub" with an "insulated throat." So, there is nothing in that hub to secure wiring but the entrance is a smooth plastic. That eliminates any chaffing but it doesn't satisfy the "secure" part that would prevent it from being pulled. Then again, who would be pulling it; it's in a panel?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-18, 10:01 PM
Group Moderator
Yes..... you can remove the jacket. The wire doesn't need to be fastened. It can just float in the nipple. If you've used a PVC nipple..... you don't need any bushings. If you've used metal pipe or EMT then you would use screw on bushings over the threads or those insulated connectors that you got.

It's usually easier to use separate conductors as a cable has a stranded ground which can be a nuisance to work with.

Old 11-09-18, 02:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If this was NM cable you cannot remove the sheath. It is a listed assembly. Without the sheath it has no marking or rating.
​​

Old 11-09-18, 08:44 AM
I haven't bought the cable yet; got tired of waiting for someone to come and cut what I needed. I will get some THHN/THWN solid wire conductors. Thanks for the help.