Federal pioneer combination afci work around

Old 11-09-18, 01:16 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Federal pioneer combination afci work around

Hello, new to this forum. Iím looking for some help into a work around since stab-lok currently doesnít produce a combination style afci which is required where Iím from. I heard that a pony panel can be install or something called a faceless afci with a regular breaker. Looking for someone to help me out on this. Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-18, 02:53 PM
L
Received 42 Votes on 39 Posts
You only have to add AFCI protection from the point you add or modify on existing installations. (Unless you jurisdiction requires whole circuit to be protected)
Therefore, you can add AFCI receptacle or blank face AFCI. They look exactly like GFCI except it will indicate AFCI.

It is highly recommend to replace stab-lok panels as they are prone to electrical fire.
Stab-lok breakers are discontinued for many years now.

Old 11-12-18, 10:48 AM
Received 48 Votes on 39 Posts
Iím looking for some help into a work around since stab-lok currently doesnít produce a combination style afci which is required where Iím from.

Assuming you are in Canada, you are correct. Federal Pioneer makes a NA20AFI, but it isn't of the combination type.

https://www.schneider-electric.ca/en...rcuit-breakers

Under Federal Pioneer's FAQ section I found this:

Are Combination Arc Fault breakers available for Stab-lok Panels?

Resolution:
We do not offer Combination AFI breakers for Stab-lok panels. To add new AFI breakers, you would need to put in a sub panel or replace existing panel with a new panel.

I would also opt for the AFCI receptacle solution rather than installing a subpanel.