Wiring hot tub 220V

Old 11-09-18, 05:31 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring hot tub 220V

I would like to install a hot tub with the heater requiring 220V. I really dont have enough capacity at the panel for the tub to have its own circuit. Is it possible to have both the dryer (which isn't used very often) and the tub on the same circuit with a switch that would only allow power to go either the tub or dryer to be on but not both at once? Is it possible for something like this to meet most electrical codes? If I were to do this, what are the dangers?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-18, 05:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I really dont have enough capacity at the panel for the tub to have its own circuit.
Do you mean there are no open sapces for breakers? You may be able to swap some full size breakers for tandems. Post a pocture of your panel with cover off and the make and model number of your panel.
,Adding pictures.

Old 11-09-18, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
What is the current of the hot tub? Many hot tubs require a 50 amps circuit which a dryer circuit is not large enough to handle.

Old 11-10-18, 05:10 AM
A
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Which has been asked by Ray2047 do you mean not enough room in your panel for more breakers? And as Tolyn stated most hot tubs require a 50amp circuit where an electric dryer only a 30amp circuit so that is not more than likely possible or even advisable.

After you post a picture we can help better.

But one idea may be if you mean not enough breaker spaces open in your panel you can install a sub panel, move some of your smaller 15 and 20amp circuits to the sub panel which will make more room in the existing panel for the 50amp circuit.

Again, posting a picture/s and a bit more clarification are the first steps.

Do you have the make/model and maybe a wiring diagram of the hot tub you want to install?

Old 11-10-18, 11:05 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. I'll get the info and post back tomorrow.

Old 11-12-18, 11:01 AM
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
I would like to install a hot tub with the heater requiring 220V.

Hot tubs I have been around all required 50 amp 120/240 volt circuits and some require the circuit be 60 amps.