Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Trying to convert light switch into switch/receptacle combo

Old 11-12-18, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to convert my light switch to switch/receptacle combo but I ran into a bid of an issue. No matter how I hook up the cables/wires to the new switch combo it doesn't function properly. I either get power at the switch only to turn the lights on and off, or if I switch the wiring I get power at the receptacle but never both. Here are the wires I found in the box:
Red- it was connected to the upper screw on the switch. It just has about half an inch of isolation removed to connect it with the switch but it is one piece wire that runs through from bottom of the box and continues upwards to the light fixture I guess.
Black- connected to the same upper screw as red one is on the switch.
Blue- connected to the bottom screw on the switch.
There are also two white wires running through the box where the switch is but those are not cut, connected or anything like that. They just run thriugt the box from bottom opening to the top one, probably straight to receptacle.
Is there even a way I can do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-18, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Do you have the switch/receptacle combo ?
What is its model number as they are all a little different.

Red and black are hot and go to the hot terminal. (extremely unusual)
Blue is the light or load.
You need to add a white jumper from the receptacle to the white wires in the box. The problem here is that there are two white wires which will force you to have to identify which is the one you want.

Pictures are very helpful.... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 11-12-18, 08:47 PM
I hope this works.
In one image you can see how the switch is wired. Like I said in previous post, red wire only has small portion of isolation removed so it can be attached to the switch but it's one continuous piece that runs from left side of the box and then goes up to the light fixture.
In the other image you can see all the wires that are in the box that this switch is mounted on. This switch controls the light that is on the other side of this wall (storage area behind the closet), but there is also light fixture that is inside the closet (above) and some of those wires connect to that but are not controlled by this switch.
Model number of the new receptacle combo that I purchased for this is: Leviton T5225
Old switch that I'm trying to replace is also Leviton but I can't make out the model number.
I should probably mention why I'm trying to change this switch to receptacle combo. I need it to plug in the 24V transformer / power supply so I can connect my newly acquired Nest thermostat. Since I'm missing the "C" wire to correctly plug in the new thermostat from the furnace I figured I could just plug in the 24V power supply to the outlet that I would install in the closet and run the cable inside the closet where it wouldn't be so obvious. Then drill small hole and plug it in to the thermostat that is located on the other side of the closet wall.

Attached Images   
Old 11-13-18, 12:00 AM
Group Moderator
1) Turn off power.
2) Remove the wires from the switch.
3) Cut the red wire where it wraps around the screw. You will need to strip the red wires a bit and splice them together with the black wire and an additional piece/tail of #14 black to go to the right side of the switch.
4) The blue wire goes where marked.
5) You will need to cut the white wire that goes from the bottom conduit to the top conduit. See if you can pull a small bit back into that box so that you can cut it and splice the two white wires together with a short piece/tail of #14 white to go to bottom left screw.

Name:  t5225.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  28.5 KB

Old 11-13-18, 03:56 PM
Works like a charm. Thanks for all your help.

Old 11-13-18, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Good job. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.