Subpanel for Woodshop / 2 Car Garage

Old 11-13-18, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Subpanel for Woodshop / 2 Car Garage

Hello,

I am interested in installing a subpanel to my attached two car garage. A few years back I ran (1) 240 line dedicated to my Tablesaw, (1) 20 amp 120 line for my dust extractor, and (1) miscellaneous 20 amp all on their own circuits. However, I am looking to add a ceiling heater as well as a few other tools in the future (See pic attached with all amperage) and only have 5 open slots on my main 200 amp service. I am running out of room quickly, and with a basement refinish next year, would like to keep those free.

I have about a 50-60 foot run from the basement to the garage. So I know I am going to need some heavy wire probably 3 gauge or 1/0.

My questions are:

- Would you recommend an 80 amp panel?

- Should I remove the (3) “Garage” circuits and transition them from the new subpanel?

- Any other specifics I should take into consideration so I only have to do this one last time?

I know that I will only be able to run two of the bigger items at once. This will mean shutting off the heater if the tablesaw and dust extractor are on.

I wanted to see some opinions on how others have done it. Thanks!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-18, 10:57 AM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
80amp is not a common size for a sub panel. It will probably be cheaper to buy a 100 amp package with a bunch of breakers included.
I would transition the current garage circuits to the new panel only because it open up spaces in the main panel for your basement remodel.

Old 11-13-18, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
A agree. Also try to keep your existing and new equipment running on 240v. You will be able to use more items at the same time. Is this going to be in conduit or cable ?

Old 11-13-18, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for the replies. I am most likely going to run a 100A service with the breaker still in the Main. I just want to see if it may be more efficient to have the electric company run a new 100A service to the garage.

Unfortunately, my house is "all electric" so there are a lot of variables I have to take into account if everything was running. Luckily these days everything is energy efficient and LED, but I will still take the max draws into consideration.

Thanks again!

Old 11-13-18, 07:14 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
I just want to see if it may be more efficient to have the electric company run a new 100A service to the garage.

It's not likely the power company would even run a second service to one house and if they did they would have to be grouped.

Old 11-13-18, 09:27 PM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
Agree. Most POCO will not run two services to a single family residence.

Old 11-14-18, 11:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I would get a 100A subpanel package from the home center as these are the cheapest and come with a few breakers. Feed that panel from a 90A double-pole breaker in your main panel using #2-2-2-4 or #2-2-4-6 aluminum SER cable (whichever your supplier has in stock).

This will be plenty of power for a one-man wood shop, even with electric heat.