100 amp main and sub panel questions

Old 11-17-18, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
100 amp main and sub panel questions

My current situation.

100 amp main with a 40 amp double 220 going to a sub panel in the detached garage. In the garage I have a 20 amp breaker for the receps and a 15 amp breaker for the lights.

My question is I would like to add an 8 to 12 space sub panel for my basement that I am in the process of finishing. Also in the sub I would like to run another 4 to 8 space sub panel up to my bungalows attic. This way I could eliminate the 4 single home run circuits I currently have going up there. It would also make it easier for me to redo the wiring.

Am I able to do this from a 100 amp main? If so any recommendations?

Any help or advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-18, 11:38 AM
Received 33 Votes on 27 Posts
It's no problem adding subpanels in itself. The issue is are the anticipated loads on new circuits going to overload the main 100A panel. Do you know what the max loads will be on the 100A panel with the added circuits?

Old 11-17-18, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the reply. I don't know exactly. My home is only about 1100 sqft and we have all gas appliances and gas furnace. So besides the garage sub panel I would say just standard appliances.

Old 11-17-18, 11:50 AM
Im sorry I read the question wrong. I would just have a few home runs for recepticles and lights going to the sub panel.

Old 11-17-18, 03:15 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Keep in mind that there are working space requirements for a panel that a lot of attics don't meet. You need 6'6" of height in addition to 30" of width and 36" depth.

Old 11-18-18, 06:49 AM
Thank you Astuff. I did not even take that into consideration. I will look more into that. Its certainly not an accessibility issue as it would be right next to the bungalow attic door. Ill have to check and see if the height near the gable would allow me to do this.

Thanks again for your reply!