Removing wires mid circuit for new addition

Old 11-18-18, 06:30 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Removing wires mid circuit for new addition

I am currently building a new addition and making egress from existing house into addition. The wall that needs to be removed has a light switch on it and the wall 2' behind it has a switch on it that I would like to remove as well. I believe these switches/lights are mid circuit due the bedroom on 1/2 story above having 2 receptacles that are on the same circuit as the lights below.

It appears that the light switch on the wall that has to be removed has the light fixture between the power and switch.

Name:  Maddison switch.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  66.0 KB

I'm not sure what they did with the wall behind switch. The white wire appears to come in from the top and just continue out the top of the box. Maybe the sheathing was just cut. The black wires attached to switch are not continuous but may have been cut and just connected to each screw?

How do I go about removing these switches from use and still being able to continue the circuit to anything wired after these switches? Thanks for your help!

Last edited by PJmax; 11-18-18 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-18, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,189 Votes on 1,100 Posts
MBR closet ......... power comes in there is switched and then the switched power is carried on.

Maddison closet is just a switch loop. That cable goes directly to whatever it controls. Remove that switch and cable and route it to a new switch location.

Power does not carry thru either box to feed receptacles.
Are you doing all the wiring or just this work ?

Old 11-18-18, 07:47 PM
J
I am wanting to remove the light fixture and switch all together and patch holes in drywall so no need to run to a new switch location if possible. I am removing electrical wiring that is in the way of the wall removal for the contractor coming this week. I plan to do all the rough in wiring myself for the addition and changes to existing house myself. All wiring requires approval by local inspector under my permit. Will be beginning to run wire sometime this week.

There are 4 single pole switches and 4 duplex receptacles on this circuit. There are two junction boxes in my basement fed by the main supply and then splits off at the junction with 1 romex going up and then the 2nd JB split off 2 more times in 2 different locations to power the 4 switches & 4 receptacles. 2 receptacles & 2 lights in one room, 1 light in living room, 1 light in maddisons closet, and 2 receptacles in half story upstairs.

My original thought was that the end of the circuit would be upstairs making these lights mid circuit. I want to keep the upstairs receptacles working but remove the switches and light fixtures.

MBR... Since the incoming hot wire supply is only going to this switch and not pigtailed, is it safe to say I could remove this switch being it is the last in circuit line from one of the romex coming out of JB in basement?

Maddison's Closet... Being this is a switch loop, I can open the light fixture up tomorrow and see if there is a pigtail made with more then 2 hots. This would determine if something is fed after this light, correct?

If I want to get rid of the light fixture round box in ceiling for both locations, I would need to run new wire from JB in basement to receptacles or fixtures that were before the lights in circuit?

Last edited by Jrk5230; 11-18-18 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Edit Junction Box description
Old 11-19-18, 09:16 AM
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Hi, it’s a bit hard to see what’s going on the the MBR box, how many cables are there, where does that white conductor go? Something looks wrong there, the white conductor can not go back into the wall.
Geo

Old 11-19-18, 04:04 PM
J
Hi, itís a bit hard to see whatís going on the the MBR box, how many cables are there, where does that white conductor go? Something looks wrong there, the white conductor can not go back into the wall.
Geo

Geo, instead of using 2 romex pieces to wire power in and leg to the light, they just used 1 and cut the sheathing off inside box with switch. Saved them a pigtail of the neutral wires. Wired the same as a typical switch with power originating in the switch box.

Old 11-19-18, 07:09 PM
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts
Something looks wrong there, the white conductor can not go back into the wall.

If you look closely, it appears that the NM cable was looped through the box and went on to the light fixture. The sheathing was removed and the black wire was cut for the two terminations on the switch. Both ground and neutral wires have no ends in the box. It's highly unusual to do it this way and had to have been harder to do than necessary. Definitely a DIY job many years ago.

Old 11-19-18, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,189 Votes on 1,100 Posts
MBR... Since the incoming hot wire supply is only going to this switch and not pigtailed, is it safe to say I could remove this switch being it is the last in circuit line from one of the romex coming out of JB in basement?
Yes..... if you can find the feed to that switch..... you can abandon it and the line up to the light.

Maddison's Closet... Being this is a switch loop, I can open the light fixture up tomorrow and see if there is a pigtail made with more then 2 hots. This would determine if something is fed after this light, correct?
There will be at least two cables at that light. One is power in and one is the switch loop. If you can find where the power comes from.... you can abandon that line too. The switch loop can definitely be abandoned after being disconnected.

Old 11-25-18, 10:39 AM
J
I have removed the wiring to both lights. The JB in the ceiling has to stay due to the connection in JB feeding one last receptacle upstairs :-(. I was hoping to remove it totally so itís not in the ceiling leading into my addition. My option to remove it includes knocking the lath and plaster out under the upstairs receptacles and feeding a new wire to where the incoming hot to JB comes from which is a receptacle upstairs on the opposite wall from receptacle mentioned above.