Attic junction box

Old 11-20-18, 04:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic junction box

I need to move a range outlet to a new location that requires a longer run than the existing feed will allow. Can I legally use a disconnect to junction the conductors? The conductors are #6 so I'm assuming wire nuts won't be sufficient or legal for connections. I don't want to run new wire if there is another option.I've just had the attic insulation removed and foam sprayed in and I would have to have it repaired. This is my first post(cry for help) Any ideas ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-18, 05:41 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Can I legally use a disconnect to junction the conductors?
Yes.

The conductors are #6 so I'm assuming wire nuts won't be sufficient
Large gray wire nuts if copper to copper will work. Of course for the wire nuts you will need an always accessible junction box. Cost may work out about the same either way.

Note You must have 4-wire, H-H-N-G. Ungrounded cables can't be extended.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-20-18 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-20-18, 09:01 AM
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
If you use a 60 amp non-fusible disconnect, you'll only need one wire nut, for the neutral conductor. Most 60 amp disconnect switches that are reasonably priced are designed for A-C use and are only rated at 240 volts. They will accommodate 2 hots and 1 ground, but not a neutral so the neutral conductors must be wire nutted within the enclosure.

Note You must have 4-wire, H-H-N-G. Ungrounded cables can't be extended.

Ray made an important point here. Do you have a 3-wire ungrounded or 4-wire grounded circuit?

Old 11-20-18, 04:29 PM
Do you need a disconnect?
Can you use connectors like the IT-4 in a junction box?
https://polarisconnectors.com/pdfs/NSi/IT_series.pdf

Old 11-20-18, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In addition to the other questions.... if your existing cable is aluminum.... you can't use wirenuts to splice it.

Old 11-26-18, 07:23 PM
Attic junction box

Thanks guys, as it turned out the feed was long enough to reach the new location. However Ray mentioned that I HAD to have a 4wire feed and I don't. The new range owners manual states that a 3 wire or 4 wire plug is acceptable. Can I be forced to run a new cable?

Old 11-26-18, 07:30 PM
Attic junction box

If i have to, it is going to suck. I just had all the insulation removed from the attic and foam sprayed in, covering most of the wiring that we are talking about. But i guess i could just abandon the #6/2 and pull a new cable. thanks a lot Ray. LOL

Old 11-26-18, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
Can I be forced to run a new cable?
Depends who will be inspecting it. If they consider it a new install, then yes. If you tell them that you just moved it a few feet to the left... maybe or maybe not. That's a local AHJ (inspector) call which isn't spelled out in the codes. On the other hand, if it's not being inspected, then we can all consider it grandfathered in.

If you do have to pull a new cable, I would just abandon the old one, either put it in a junction box in the attic, or cut it out of the breaker box (so it can't be reattached). Then find the easiest way to run a new cable, which will not be under all that new insulation.

Old 11-26-18, 08:23 PM
Thanks Zorfdt, I think I'll relax now. I only moved it 20 inches and installed a new in wall rec. I don't want to run a new feed. I probably didn't explain very well about the insulation It's on the underside of the roof. And they fill the eave and out into the attic space a foot and a half. So there's no insulation on the ceiling. Makes working there a dream.But all the wire run near the outside walls is covered.Thanks for all the responses. It's nice to have that support.