Grounding question in older home

Old 11-21-18, 01:18 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grounding question in older home

Hello there,

Recently moved into an older apartment building. The wiring is all old armored cable with either cloth (One really old circuit) or paper wrapped wires. Grounding is via the armor cable, all the outlets are confirmed grounded with a tester.

While I can't physically see it, research shows that most panels built around the same time are bonded to the water pipe to act as the ground.

So, Here is a picture of my panel. Top right there is a 2 wire where the ground is just wrapped around the armor and terminated to the panel. Center you can also see the panel bonded to the neutral bus.

If I were to add a circuit, 12/2 Armored, where would I attach the ground in the panel? To the same bus as the panel bond, the forward part of the neutral bus?

I have my own electric bill so this should be the first panel after the meter which allows for neutral and ground together at this point?

Old 11-21-18, 03:17 PM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 7,984
Received 500 Upvotes on 410 Posts
The ground can terminated in the same bus (not same hole) as the neutral.
Old 11-21-18, 06:35 PM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 9,827
Received 178 Upvotes on 161 Posts
Since this is an apartment you shouldn't touch any of the wiring and call the landlord if you have any issues, for reasons of liability.
Old 11-21-18, 06:53 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,923
Received 177 Upvotes on 155 Posts
Type AC cable.used the sheath as the ground. MC cable.has an insulated ground.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: