Double wall oven replacement with possible older wiring?

Old 11-21-18, 07:49 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Double wall oven replacement with possible older wiring?

Hello,

was looking for any advice or help if possible. My parents double oven went out and right before the Holidays and was able to pick up a new one from Craigslist at a reasonable price but have run into a bit of a snag with the wiring. The home isn't too old as it was built in 1996/1997 but didn't seem to have the color coded wiring needed for the neutral and live wires. Bought new Ideal Purple connectors too for Al/Cu connection, although I've just read about their failure rate and not being great.

Here is the model and info to the same model purchased:
Whirlpool WOD51EC7AS 27" Electric Double Wall Oven

I've also attached pictures of the wiring coming from the wall and the wiring from the double oven. Any help on how to wire them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 11-21-18, 10:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,613 Votes on 1,485 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

One thread per topic or problem. This is your thread.

You have three wires and ground there. You will need a meter to locate the two wires that supply 240v.
You need to measure 240vAC between two of those wires. Once found..... identify them. One will connect with red and one will connect with black.

Then you should measure 120vAC from each of those hot wires to the third wire. If that checks out..... mark that third wire as white/neutral.

The ground is the bare wire bundle.

Wirenuts are not an acceptable connection method there.
I would recommend one of two methods..... one is called an insulated tap connector and the other is a splicing block. Either can be used with copper to aluminum splicing. The insulated taps are fully insulated. The splicing blocks need to be taped. If you have the room you should increase the size of that splice box to give you more splicing room. A deep version of that box is available. Aluminum antioxidant should also be used on the aluminum wires.
Insulated tap connector
Aluminum splicer block
Noalox - anti oxidation compound

Old 11-22-18, 06:42 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much!! It worked like a charm. Using the purple connectors temporarily until I can get my hands on either of those connectors you mentioned and take those other suggestions into consideration when getting connectors. Thanks again!! Very helpful and straight forward.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-22-18, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,613 Votes on 1,485 Posts
You're welcome but please don't forget the proper fasteners.

Old 11-23-18, 03:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
Hard to tell if the proper connector was used on that cable. If no connector was used one needs to be installed.

The wires should have had stripes on the insulation to identify the conductor.

Those wire nuts are way too small and are not rated for the current that oven will draw.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: