GFCI Ground Fault

Old 11-23-18, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI Ground Fault

Hi, I have a circuit which contains a combination of light fixtures and three outlets, all of which are GFCI. Two are located outdoors and the other indoors. Fixture and outle status are as follows:

-All light fixtures are working
-All outlets were tested and have power behind them but no power at the outlet
-All GFCIs have reset buttons out and none will reset when reset button is pushed
-GFCI 1 is indoors and is maybe 10+ years old with no status light feature
-GFCI 2 is outdoors and flashes red
-GFCI 3 is outdoors but status light is off (neither green nor red)
-GFCI 2 and 3 are less than two years old

I tried swapping GFCI 2 with GFCI 3 but no change. Have not tried anything else.

Any thoughts on next steps or potential cause. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-18, 10:13 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There should be only one GFCI, the first one, with the rest non GFCI fed from the load side. If you have more than one GFCI they should be from the line side. How is your wired?

Old 11-23-18, 10:49 AM
Hi Ray, both outdoor GFCIs are wired line side. The other Iím not sure. All outlets worked fine for about a year then stopped recently.

Old 11-23-18, 10:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
If you pull the GFI receptacle out and there is only line side wiring .... NO load wiring..... then that is a standalone GFI. If you have power on the line but the GFI won't set.... it's bad. If you don't have line side power then you need to find out where it's coming from. A single GFI feeding several GFI's can be a tripping problem.

Old 11-24-18, 05:12 AM
Hi PJ, all three GFI outlets are wired line side and have power at the terminals (but nothing coming through the outlet as mentioned). So I potentially have three bad GFCIs? Or could one bad GFCI be affecting the others?

What should be my next step?

Old 11-24-18, 05:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Are you using a non contact tester. Put it back in box and get a cheap analog tester. You will need 120 volts to each line side gcfi. Look around house for another gcfi Bathrooms, garage behind seldom moved furniture etc.

Old 11-24-18, 05:45 AM
Hi, Iím using a multimeter. I have not checked for exactly 120V but all were reading 115V+. I checked for other GFCIs around the house already but will double check again. Just to understand, am I looking for another GFCI on the same circuit wired on load side?

Old 11-24-18, 06:15 AM
As further info, I also recently changed a switch on the same circuit which operates the outdoor fixture and feeds the outdoor outlets (from a standard switch to a timer switch). The new switch works fine but would potential miswiring of that switch have caused a problem? The indoor GFCI stopped working well before the switch changeout but not sure exactly when the outdoor GFCIs stopped working as they are seldomly used.

Old 11-24-18, 06:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
If you are using a meter and are getting 120 volts between hot and neutral (black and white) wires then your issue is the GFCI device. If you are reading between hot and ground then you have an open neutral.

Make sure you have the black wire on the brass screw and white on the silver screw of the GFCI device. Newer devices will not work correctly if they are wired wrong.

Old 11-24-18, 08:44 AM
I replaced all three GFCIs and all are working again (at least for now!). The indoor one was actually on a different circuit I came to find out.

Thanks everyone for the guidance, which all pointed to bad devices. Thought it would be rare for all three devices to fail at once, I guess some odd event must have fried them all - but as they say, the obvious answer is usually the right one! Now up go the Christmas lights!