Adding smoke detector on furnace circuit

Old 11-23-18, 05:37 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding smoke detector on furnace circuit

Hi all,

I would like to hardwire in a smoke/CO2 detector in my finished basement. I would have a very easy time of it if I wired the detector into the dedicated furnace circuit (15amp). The furnace switch has a type s 7 amp fuse. I would pull power before the fuse. Is it a bad idea to tap into this circuit? I'm sure this wouldn't overload anything, I just wanted to see if there's anything wrong with it.

Located in Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-18, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,203 Votes on 1,113 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Technically only the furnace should be on that circuit but I wouldn't hesitate to install a hardwired unit on the furnace circuit.

Old 11-24-18, 08:06 AM
Received 57 Votes on 48 Posts
When my gas boiler was installed in 2013 the code-required CO detector above it was wired on the same circuit by the installer.

Old 11-24-18, 08:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
If..you.have other smoke.alarms in the house any new ones should be added on the same.circuit and interconnected.

CO alarms.should not be installed above the equipment.

Old 11-24-18, 04:50 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone.

This house was built in the 1976. For some reason, they hardwired the upper smoke detector, and apparently not the lower (strange, as this house was built with a finished basement) . I knew the upper was hardwired and assumed the lower was too. Thusly, I bought two hardwired detectors off amazon, and would rather not deal with the return and use it.

Pcboss, it would be nice to have it on the same circuit as the upper, but I really can't justify the amount of drywall work it would take to make that happen. I am not required to have the detector hardwired by code, so I'd sooner buy a battery operated detector than create that much work.

This would not be placed in my utility room. It would be on the same wall though, so I could easily install a couple drywall boxes and fish my wire with no visible damage/ repair work.

John, it sounds like based on what you are saying, your local code would want this detector on my furnace circuit, if I understand correctly.

Pjmax, that was what I was thinking too, I just wanted to verify that there wasn't a compelling reason I was missing not to tap that circuit.

Thanks again for all the thoughtful advice!

Old 11-24-18, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
You can.get the advantage of.interconnected smoke alarms without the wiring by using the Nest smoke and CO alarms. Both hardwired and battery are available.

Old 11-25-18, 08:51 AM
Received 57 Votes on 48 Posts
local code would want this detector on my furnace circuit
I'm not sure if it is required to be on the same circuit but I do know that it is allowed.

CO alarms.should not be installed above the equipment
The local code requires a hard-wired CO detector in the room where the boiler is located. It is on the ceiling nearby and not directly over the boiler. A 120 volt CO detector was installed. It has a 120 volt output to connect to other alarms. I used a relay on that output to connect to my low voltage monitored home security system.

A CO detector is also required on each floor above. Plug-in units are acceptable for those.