GE Subpanel connections

Old 11-25-18, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Subpanel connections

Hope my attachment goes along with this. I've finished my installation but a nagging doubt has been with me since I looked at the instructions for my GE subpanel. In the photo of how to wire the panel, it is very clear where the ground and power supply get connected. On the left side of the photo and the enlargement of the neutral bus, there can be seen TWO places where wiring can be connected to the neutral bus. In the photo, it is connected to the one on the right. However, you will also notice in the print that it says "bond neutral to box using screw provided," Of course, I didn't bond the neutral to the box because I have read too much that says otherwise. My Main is about six inches from my subpanel. Because of the instructions, I have wondered whether they show the neutral wire attached at that particular place because the instructions apply to the panel being put in a place where the green bonding screw would be used. So, I'm thinking If the green bonding screw is not used maybe I'm supposed to attach the neutral in the left hole.
I can't really see it making a difference but then again, there are two holes there for a reason.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-18, 09:55 PM
Here's the photo that was supposed to go with the post

Name:  DSC06691.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  e.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  48.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-26-18 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added second picture
Old 11-25-18, 10:50 PM
The following link is the instructions for the GE Subpanel. The photos are much clearer than the one I attached.

https://apps.geindustrial.com/publib...=DEH-41267.pdf

Old 11-26-18, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
It looks like that is dedicated for sub panel use. A sub panel gets wired with four wires and that panel has four distinct places to connect to.

You won't use the green bonding screw. You do need to confirm that what is called the neutral bar and the ground bar are not connected. Some have a piece of buss bar under the breakers that's not visible in the picture. You also need to confirm that the ground bar is directly connected to the panel box with no insulators.

Old 11-26-18, 10:06 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The left neutral bus has two large connections on top. The pics show connecting to the right one but the left can be used as well. It doesn't matter which one you use. The 2nd lug is there if you have a large circuit neutral wire that won't fit in the lower holes.

Old 11-26-18, 11:43 AM
Appreciate the help. Thanks.