Installed Ring doorbell- now have power issues

Old 11-27-18, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Installed Ring doorbell- now have power issues

All-

I am very familiar with doing electrical work but I am a little confused about an issue I have. My house is from the 1950's on the east coast (NJ). I installed the doorbell by tapping AC off the front door inside light switch up to the transformer. I attached white to white, black to black, and the green transformer wire to the copper wire (I now realize I should have just capped the green transformer). In our main panel copper and white are on the same bus bar.

What is happening is the power on that circuit periodically goes out then back on, breaker does not trip. I'm thinking loose connection or the transformer wiring. The transformer is a Nutone in-box mounted type. Supplies 20v to doorbell. ALso I have done all this to run a Ring Pro doorbell. I'm kind of a little freaked out as this should not happen an don't know the consequences. Also I am away from home (work out of state) and can't address the issue until the weekend.

I have a plan, clear out JUNK in cellar enough to get me under front door to run a seperate AC wire off a new breaker I installed several months ago. But thats a pain but I will do it.

ANY IDEAS WHY POWER BLINKS?

..AR

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-18, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Yes..... bare copper ground and neutral are combined in the main panel only.
It was correct to connect the green transformer wire to the bare ground wire.

Power on that circuit goes out ?
You mean everything on that circuit including the doorbell or just the doorbell ?

Old 11-27-18, 12:49 PM
Thank you, entire circuit goes out. But comes back on its own with no action by anyone. BTW should I just cap off the green transformer wire? Srry. I just reread your reply on green wire.

...AR

Old 11-27-18, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
You could move the transformer to a different circuit but that's not addressing the problem circuit.
You'd need to locate everything on the problem circuit to see what is going off and what isn't.

Old 11-27-18, 01:32 PM
Well the circuit never had issues until I put the doorbell in.

Old 11-27-18, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
The transformer itself will not cause that problem but maybe a problem splice where you connected it.

Old 11-27-18, 03:02 PM
Is it "entire circuit" or just things controlled by the switch - I'm concerned you wired into a switch loop.

Old 11-27-18, 03:33 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
tapping AC off the front door inside light switch up to the transformer. I attached white to white, black to black,
What color wires on the switch. (Should have been two blacks.) If two blacks are you sure you connected the transformer to line.

Old 11-27-18, 07:21 PM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
Hi, where did you mount the transformer? if you mounted it to an existing J box you may has a loose connection in there.
Geo

Old 11-28-18, 05:20 AM
tribe_fan: All lights, outlets etc on that circuit go out, different rooms but same side of house. Not controlled by switch. I should note the junction box is a double, right next to the regular switch I have a smart switch. It has white going in so I tapped off of that on the switch. Took the black bundle and added a wire.
ray2047: I understand where you are going there, I took a meter across the standard switch and measured which black was hot with switch off and labeled it.
pjmax: I think I am going to try to run a new AC wire up the wall and take the switch out of the equation. Recheck all connections. My cellar is a mess and that's why I never ran a new wire.

Old 11-28-18, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
All lights, outlets etc on that circuit go out, different rooms but same side of house. Not controlled by switch.
That tells you that the transformer install itself is not the cause of the problem unless there is a problem INSIDE where you connected the transformer. The point I'm trying to make is moving the transformer to a different or new circuit is not going to fix your problem.

Old 11-29-18, 08:06 AM
@pjmax: Don't know how to do quoted reply. No, I absolutely get what you are saying. You concur that green on trans can go to bare copper ground, correct? At any rate I had my son open the junction box for wall switch and cut the AC wire I had feeding the transformer. Since last night there have not been any issues, but I want a full 24hrs of "no issues". Being as house is old and wires run all over creation I will set the trans downstairs in cellar, run the bell wire up the wall to the chime. I have a solid new circuit I installed right from the panel that has a wire run in the vicinity and not much is on that circuit at all.

I absolutely appreciate the input! Thank you.

...Alan

Old 11-29-18, 12:18 PM
@pjmax: you are probably right, something in that circuit. Problem still there. At this point I am calling an electrician. No sense in me wasting time troubleshooting, let a pro figure it out.

Feel like an idiot even though I've done lots of wiring before.

Old 11-29-18, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Feel like an idiot even though I've done lots of wiring before.
Intermittent problems are not always easy to find. I troubleshoot them all the time.

Save yourself some money..... identify everything on that problem circuit. Whether you do the repair or an electrician does it...... everything needs to be identified. People complain when I charge them to do that for them. It's technically not my job. It should have already been done. Once a list is made..... what's working properly and what's intermittent is identified. Based on that..... it usually pretty easy to deduce where the problem is. Wiring goes from the panel to one device to another and another..... so look at two devices...... a working one and an an intermittent one, pick the two that are the closest and open them and check for problems. The problem is at the last working device or the first dead one.

A typical problem we see here at DIY and I see in the field is the use of the push-in terminals on the backs of receptacles and switches. Sooner or later.... these connections fail. The more load on the circuit..... the faster they fail.

Old 11-30-18, 09:21 AM
Well I rushed home from Maryland back to NJ for this. Had an electrician here 7am. After troubleshooting he determined one leg off the main breaker was bad. So the main breaker needs to be replaced. For now all double pole breakers are off and we are using minimal electric.

Thank you for all help guys. I will let the electrician redo the doorbell .

Old 12-01-18, 01:19 AM
Group Moderator
You had more than one circuit in trouble. Half the house should have been intermittent.