Help with Smart Switch? where' Ground?

Old 11-27-18, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help with Smart Switch? where' Ground?

I Live in Ontario (Canada), and in a newly built home (2018). I'm removing a regular 2 way light switch and installing a smart light switch instead (TP link HS200).

The first switch is in the dining room:
I have connected the new light switch neutral wire (white) to the already pigtailed white ones I saw in there, and black/live wires that were connected to the original switch, I pigtailed with the new light switch (photo 1). However the Green/ground wire of the Smart Switch - the instructions say to pigtail with the green wire in the box but I don't see one. Do I simply attach it to the back where the screw is (circled in red in photo 2). There's a wire already attached to that screw and I'm unsure if it is a ground wire, and if so, can I simply loosen the screw and connect both grounds to it then tighten it?

The second smart switch is to go into a different light gang. When I opened that one, there's again no green ground wire to pigtail to, but there are empty screws in the back (circled). Do I simply attach the smart switch ground to those? (see pic 3 & 4)

are all metal boxes grounded in new homes? The first box - I'm unsure if it is metal because it's covered in paint.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-18, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That first box looks like composition or plastic with a grounding bar in the back. Are all four screws being used ?
Typically there is only one wire allowed on a screw like that. See if one ground wire is longer with a tail you can attach to.

The other box looks like metal and you should be able to use that terminal for ground.
Use just the upper separate screw....... not the one with the romex clamp on it.

If you find yourself having to install several wires on one terminal...... make a splice of all of them and add a single tail that can go to the screw.

Old 11-27-18, 08:53 PM
Hi pjmax! Thank you very much for your help. Regarding your question, yes all 4 screws are used (there are 4 light switches total).
Do you know why only 1 wire allowed per screw? is there a risk of fire if I put 2 grounds under 1 screw?
Thank you very much!

Old 11-27-18, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Not a risk of fire...... just a risk of the ground wires loosening up and possibly becoming disconnected.

Old 11-27-18, 09:22 PM
Thank you very much, you're awesome!

Old 11-28-18, 02:25 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
In Ontario the ground screw have a nub on either side that holds the wire from sliding out. You are permitted to one wire on either side of the screw. You do not have to wrap the wire around the ground screws like you do on a switch or receptacle.
The bottom screw in the bottom picture is the cable clamp. That is not permitted to be used as a ground screw.