Power problem in bathroom

Old 11-28-18, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power problem in bathroom

I am having power problems in my bathroom. When I turned on the lights they flicker and go out. I also have no power at the wall outlets. I have replaced the ground fault outlet and the breaker. They all worked a few days ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-18, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is the problem circuit dedicated to the bathroom only or are there more devices in the house on it ?

Old 11-28-18, 01:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
This problem is usually a burned off or loose wire in one of the junction boxes feeding this circuit. A burned crimp is a common cause as is a bad back-stab wire in a switch or receptacle. Finding it can be tricky since it could be at any junction box, receptacle box, switch box or light fixture on the circuit.

The fix is to open up each box, remake connections and replace devices if they are worn or loose, use screw terminals instead of back-stab push in connections.

Old 11-28-18, 02:53 PM
It's on a dedicated circuit, as I think about it, the closet light in the bathroom has not been working but began working just before evrytevery went dead. I think I will start with that fixture. First thing tomorrow, got to work right now.

Old 11-30-18, 10:37 AM
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
began working just before evrytevery went dead.

What's an evrytevery? .............

Old 11-30-18, 02:40 PM
Got it! Not what I expected. Turned out to be a bad outlet in the living room. I used a lamp to trace backwards to the last functional outlet on the same wall. When I opened it the damage was clear. I replaced the outlet and that solved the problem.

Old 11-30-18, 03:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Good job. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Old 12-01-18, 06:22 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
What I would check would be the GFCI receptacle in the bathroom. Bathroom receptacles tend to get more of a work-out than other ones. GFCI receptacles have pressure plates that the conductor is inserted into an then the screw tightened down. It is possible that over time if the screw was not tightened very well that the conductor may not be making full contact with the pressure plate. The lighting may be being feed from the line side of the GFCI. Does the GFCI receptacle work properly?