DC Project

Old 11-28-18, 05:17 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DC Project

Hello all,
I’ve come here looking for some advise on how to set up a project I am interested in starting. To start I have a strong mechanical and fabricating background but not a clue as far as electrical. I’d like to build a small cart with an electric motor assist made to carry somewhat heavy loads (up to 300lbs) at low speed (a slow walk), power coming from a 40v rechargeable kobalt battery. What I need assistance with is what specific components would work best, motor, voltage regulator, fuses, and something to control speed. Just wanting to make sure I have the proper parts that will handle the voltage and amperage used in the application. Feel free to ask any other questions and any advise is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-28-18, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I don't really have any specific recommendations yet but check on Ebay for used DC motors with gear reduction drives. That's going to be the most expensive and hardest part to locate. While looking at the drives..... picture how you'll want to connect to at least one of the wheels or use a live axle where two wheels on the same end are driven.

I'm not sure how much action you'll get out of that Kobalt battery. They are high voltage but don't have much long term discharge current.

Old 11-28-18, 08:07 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
It might be best to just use 18V or 20V 2 cordless drills and modify it.
You could remove chuck and attach each drill to a wheel.
You can increase capacity by connecting batteries in parallel.

You can attach drill triggers to some sort of levers to control speed.
10 AWG wires are probably best for wiring to keep voltage drops to minimal. Use welding wire or automotive battery wires which has fine strands of coppers.

If you need more power, motors used on electric wheel chair or scooters might be better.
If you can get a used electric wheel chair at a good price, you may even be able to just use it's base and build on top of it. It would have pretty much all the parts you need for motor control already.

Old 11-28-18, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Electric wheel chair...... awesome idea. I see them around fairly inexpensive because once the batteries go bad.... most people don't want to spring for the cost of new ones.

Old 11-29-18, 05:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You can also look online at the Chinese retailers (Bangood, Ali Express...). They offer many kits and parts for powering electric scooters and devices. The scooter kits have a wheel with a motor built into the hub and is powered by a separate controller that provides the speed control and braking functions. They also offer motors with toothed belts to drive your device. Or you can order the individual parts to customize for your installation.

Old 12-03-18, 05:48 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I like the electric wheelchair idea, I’ll keep a look out for a cheap one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: