GFCI Generator hookup to single circuit transfer switch

Old 11-29-18, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI Generator hookup to single circuit transfer switch

Hi all - I am doing some research before installing a transfer switch (EZ Generator switch) to a single circuit in my electrical panel to run our oil-fired boiler in the event of a power outage. My generator (Predator 3500 watt) has GFCI receptacles and is neutral bonded to the frame. I have read that bonded neutral generators with GFCI receptacles will have issues when plugged into a transfer switch, due to multiple neutrals being grounded (did I get that right?). EZ Generator does say that "it switches the neutral for bonded neutral generators and connects the floating neutral generators neutral", though I don't know enough to tell if that will make a difference for GFCI receptacles on the generator.

Should I look to un-bond the neutral at the generator and configure the EZ generator switch to operate in the floating neutral mode (it can be configured to run with floating or bonded neutrals)? Or, should I simply leave the gen as is and wire up the switch as is (as a bonded neutral) and see if it trips the GFCIs (and, I guess go to step 1 if it does)?

Second question: If I did un-bond the neutral at the generator to run power to the transfer switch, is there a danger with running a second line from the generator directly to an appliance or two (sump pump or fridge / lights)? Any advice would be appreciated.

NB: I realize this type of setup is sub-optimal, but given current resources and what we have at hand, it's the most we can do at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-18, 08:59 PM
Received 113 Votes on 103 Posts
You will need a transfer switch that also switches the neutral along with the hots.

Old 11-30-18, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks - for those out there with a similar question, it does seem that the EZ Generator single (15 amp) circuit transfer switch will work ok with generators that are neutral bonded and have GFCI receptacles. I installed the switch at my panel to power our oil-fired burner and it seems to work - nothing tripped when plugged in or when the thermostat called for heat and turned on the burner. There was a strange buzzing sound from the burner upon initial startup when running on generator.