Transitioning wire home runs to addition

Old 11-30-18, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transitioning wire home runs to addition

I have built a 24'x24' addition and need to run 5, maybe 6 homeruns for new circuits from existing panel/house over to my addition on the other side of home. I have my access to crawl space under new addition in my existing houses basement wall. Can I run my new homeruns through the access window into crawl space? Do they need to be protected by some kind of conduit or anything if run through access door. I plan to run them through existing house floor trusses over to where the access door is where the wire will drop down and then travel through opening into crawl space. Any help is appreciated!! Wiring will be inspected by local Township inspector for acceptance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-18, 02:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I'm reading the situation as that your existing basement window now opens into the crawlspace of the addition instead of outdoors. You would like to route some wiring through the window from the existing basement into the new crawlspace?

Yes I think you could do this, but I would use conduit for the portion of the run that drops below the normal ceiling height in the basement. An alternative approach would be to frame out a chase with a couple 2x4s.

Old 11-30-18, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is drilling holes through the basement band board adjacent to the crawlspace not an option? If you decide to finish the basement off, I wouldn't think you'd want home runs running through the access door, regardless if they are protected.

Old 11-30-18, 03:00 PM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
How about running one feed to a subpanel in the addition?

Old 11-30-18, 03:26 PM
How about running one feed to a subpanel in the addition?
This was what I thought was best during original planning but was told that its not the most preferred method that homeruns are the better way of doing it. Not really sure why.

Is drilling holes through the basement band board adjacent to the crawlspace not an option?
Yes, good idea, that would make more sense and would be better protection.

I'm reading the situation as that your existing basement window now opens into the crawlspace of the addition instead of outdoors. You would like to route some wiring through the window from the existing basement into the new crawlspace?
That is correct.

Also, my panel will be maxed out if I do not put in a sub panel for the addition making future electrical needs difficult.

Old 11-30-18, 05:06 PM
Put in a subpanel. There is no "better" to run all homerun circuits. In your case it sounds like a subpanel is best.

Old 11-30-18, 08:35 PM
Put in a subpanel. There is no "better" to run all homerun circuits. In your case it sounds like a subpanel is best.
I agree that a subpanel is probably best in this scenario. My panel box currently is about 36' from crawl space also. Would have 200' of wire just to run to crawl space entrance.

What size panel box should I go with? I need 5-7 circuits for addition alone. and maybe leave a few for future projects possibly.

Old 11-30-18, 10:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Choose a panel with room for expansion. Do not count the spaces where a tandem is needed like a 6/12 panel. This only allows 6 full size single poles, but would allow 12 if tandems are used. AFCI protection which is needed for most new circuits does not come in a tandem.

Old 12-01-18, 05:57 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
My vote would be for a sub panel also.

What size panel box should I go with? I need 5-7 circuits for addition alone. and maybe leave a few for future projects possibly.
Before we can answer this question for you maybe if you give us an idea of what you will be powering from the sub panel for the new addition.

This was what I thought was best during original planning but was told that its not the most preferred method that home-runs are the better way of doing it. Not really sure why.
The only reason maybe someone said that was because they were advising that running new lines (home-runs) directly from the panel would be beneficial over tapping into existing circuits and extending them to the new addition.

Old 12-01-18, 08:08 AM
I advise to use a main breaker panel instead of a main lug panel. Even though a main breaker is not required it is nice to have for convenience. There are also value packs in the main breaker panels where you get some breakers with them. Even though you may not need a 100A panel, that size panel is very common and usually the best value. You can feed the 100A subpanel with a 100A or less breaker. Shooting from the hip, running #2-2-2-4 Al SER from panel to panel as long as it's not buried within insulation will give you up to 90A. I know that #2 Al will fit in down to a 60A breaker, maybe a 50A in some brands. The SER is installed just as NM-b(Romex). One thing is to be sure the new added loads plus the existing loads are not going to overload your existing main panel.

Old 12-01-18, 08:52 AM
Before we can answer this question for you maybe if you give us an idea of what you will be powering from the sub panel for the new addition.
Circuit 1 for entertainment room receptacles. (Total of 9 duplex)

Circuit 2 for two bedrooms receptacles and outside receptacles. (Total of 15 duplex)

Circuit 3 is for Bathroom GFCI by sink. (Total of 2 duplex)

Circuit 4 is for Pump/motor of Jetted tub.

Circuit 5 is for lighting throughout addition and smoke alarms. (16 12w recessed LED, Vanity light with 3 bulbs, 2 fan/light combos, 1 closet light, 1 bath fan/light, 1 patio light, 1 crawl space entrance light in basement, 1 attic entrance light. 4 hardwired smoke alarms.

Circuit 6 is for in line heater for jetted tub if we decide to go that route (Havn't purchased heater yet but we are considering it at this time).

Old 12-01-18, 09:05 AM
Here's a couple panel boxes I found. 24 spaces would be more then needed. Even 12 would be plenty. Should use about half of a 12-space panel box for addition.

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schnei...e+D+main+panel

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...25GC/100197334

Is this the wiring I need for installing sub panel? I have 2 uncles that are going to help with sub panel installation as they do electrical work on the side in the past.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...2999/205001908

Old 12-01-18, 09:39 AM
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
How are you planning on heating and cooling the addition?

Old 12-01-18, 09:48 AM
How are you planning on heating and cooling the addition?
That is TBD. I have HVAC people coming sometime this week unless they push again. I dont know much about HVAC but could probably learn fairly quickly. Anyways, I'm going to have them determine my options and get me estimates. Not sure if my existing propane furnace ducts can be extended to serve the addition or not (Same with my central AC unit). If they cannot handle addition SF, mini splits are an option as well as upgrading my existing system.

Old 12-01-18, 08:31 PM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Don't use aluminum wire:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...2999/205001908

Especially for DIYers copper is much safer and more reliable.

Use copper, 3 wire plus ground of a size that allows for future loads.

Old 12-01-18, 08:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Aluminum conductors in a feeder cable are fine to use, even for a diy. They will also save money over the cost.of copper.

The smokes should tie into the existing circuit for the smokes.

Old 12-02-18, 09:37 AM
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
If they cannot handle addition SF, mini splits are an option as well as upgrading my existing system.

Unless your existing furnace and A-C are oversized you may be faced with substantial additional cost to upgrade them that is, IF you can extend ductwork. Mini splits may be the best option which is another great reason to install a subpanel.

Old 12-02-18, 09:59 AM
Unless your existing furnace and A-C are oversized you may be faced with substantial additional cost to upgrade them that is, IF you can extend ductwork. Mini splits may be the best option which is another great reason to install a subpanel.
I'm pretty darn sure that they are not oversized, especially the Central AC unit. The propane furnace may be able to handle but not sure.

Old 12-02-18, 09:18 PM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
If existing AC or propane systems are inadequate, mini split will make up the deficiency in either heating or cooling. If addition has several rooms get split with multiple room wall units.