Outdoor Receptacles attached to new Addition

Old 11-30-18, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Receptacles attached to new Addition

Built a 24'x24' addition and plan to add 3 outdoor receptacles. I made sure I got the bubble covers that cover the receptacle even when something is plugged in to meet NEC codes. My question is, can I branch off of my bedroom receptacle circuit to feed power to the 3 outdoor receptacles? Any suggestions for how many receptacles on a 20A circuit? I know there isn't a standard # for this but just asking opinions from experienced people. Also, I understand that all outdoor receptacles must be GFCI protected and will be on a AFCI breaker. Plan to make the first outdoor receptacle outdoors a GFCI, therefore protecting the next 2. Thanks

On a side note but similar to above, am I able to also feed an outdoor light or two off the circuit im running to all the lights in the addition?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-18, 06:09 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Out door receptacles do not need to be AFCI protected.

Good you are using "in-use" bubble covers for the out door receptacles.

Ok, to protect the first with GFCI receptacle to protect down line 2 more. Also, all three of them also need to be reated "WR" for weather resistant.

Its not so much as a standard for number of receptacles on a 20amp circuit but more so practicality. The method I go by usually is 180 watts per receptacle. 20amp circuit can handle (20amp x 120v = 2,400 watts divided by 180 watts = 13 receptacles). But I would not use that many depending on what the use was planned for. Again, depending on what will be on the circuits will more so determine how many receptacles you will have on a 20amp circuit. There are other factors that may determine this also. If the addition has a bathroom you must run a dedicated circuit to the bathroom and that circuit can not go to any other room (except for another bathroom). So it would be unlikely that you would have so many receptacles in one bathroom. If you will be powering a window air conditioner in the addition you may want to run a dedicated line from the sub panel just for that. Therefore again you would only be placing on receptacle on that circuit.

I branch off of my bedroom receptacle circuit to feed power to the 3 outdoor receptacles?
If you are referring to a bedroom in the new addition I would highly suggest that you run a line from the sub panel to the outside receptacles. The bedroom requires AFCI protection.

Old 12-01-18, 09:37 AM
If you are referring to a bedroom in the new addition I would highly suggest that you run a line from the sub panel to the outside receptacles. The bedroom requires AFCI protection.
Is it a bad idea to have AFCI breaker to outdoor receptacles?

I leaning towards putting a sub-panel in so running a dedicated circuit to the outdoor receptacles would be possible.

Old 12-01-18, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Is it a bad idea to have AFCI breaker to outdoor receptacles
No. An AFCI should work fine for outside, is not required. GFCI protection is required.

A few other notes:
All receptacles installed for a dwelling is required to be Tamper Resistant. "TR"
2017 NEC pretty much requires all habitable rooms of a dwelling to be AFCI protected. IIRC 2008 was that start of AFCI's which required just the bedrooms. Be sure to check your location NEC adoption to fine what version is being enforced.

Old 12-01-18, 10:34 AM
No. An AFCI should work fine for outside, is not required. GFCI protection is required.
Ok, I'll be able to feed outside receptacles from the bedroom receptacle circuit then which will be on an AFCI breaker. The first receptacle outside, I'll be putting in a GFCI. Then all codes shall be met with that setup.